1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Was working great, now it stabs my prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KH6EF, Nov 14, 2015.

1. KH6EF

KH6EF New Member

I got a few good prints out of the Robo 3D Plus. I printed the Gravity Falls WHAT weather vane. Now, no matter what I try to print, it will eventually stab my print and start dragging it all over the surface. I have no idea what happened.

I thought it may be a lifting problem, so I tried making a raft. That didn't help. I changed the bed temperatures based on recommendations out there, but no luck.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

A) be sure you use something to adhere the print to the glass, aquanet hairspray is a good choice

B) make sure the bottom cooling fan is running and print some lifter feet/lift up the base so it gets good airflow

3. KH6EF

KH6EF New Member

It stabs the prints. It will be printing fine then suddenly it stabs whatever it is printing.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try the same part with a different slicer, I am not picturing exactly what you mean, but this suggestion is a stab at guessing what you meant. If it behaves the same then it is likely the model, if it works, then its likely a slicer setting.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had the issue not using glue or aqua net to hold the piece down... What would happen is the piece would warp off the bed, the extruder would then appear to be dragging it over the print bed. Is this what's happening?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Like the nozzle lowers into the print? I think you're confusing something about what's happening. Did you try my troubleshooting advice?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, that would be really odd behavior. I have never seen anything like that.
    Collisions with previous layers (due to curling)? Sure, a stop-and-stab? No.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have to assume that he is having sticking issues on the first layers...I just can't see the extruder falling into the print ?

9. KH6EF

KH6EF New Member

To explain what is happening. It will be laying down layers, the machine stops, then the head lowers down and pushes into the print. I tried Cura as an alternative. I also tried in Linux, but Matter Control won't connect to the printer.

10. KH6EF

KH6EF New Member

It's not a problem of the print lifting. It will stop and lower the head until it pushes into the print.

I would print feet, but I am only getting about a 15% success rate at the moment.

11. KH6EF

KH6EF New Member

It's not falling, it's being pushed into the print.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

have you tried to print off an sd card? I ask to rule out a communication error from the computer or cord

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, SD card is an excellent option. Also examine the communications log to see what errors are being reported from the printer.

14. KH6EF

KH6EF New Member

I did another print and watched the logs. When it stops printing, there are no more lines added to the log. When the Z axis starts to move there aren't any lines added to the log either. Matter Control says it is still connected and responds to cancel print then moves the head to the home position. I looked through the log to see if I could spot anything which looked like an error, but didn't see any. All lines "OK"

I will try the SD card, if I can find one of those Micro SD to SD adapters.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd suggest also trying different software.
    It may be mattercontrol misbehaving.

16. KH6EF

KH6EF New Member

Tried Cura.

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd like to see a video of this. Unheard of failure

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, unless the model is broken and generating bogus tool paths that is a really strange failure.

19. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I would suggest calling Robo3d tech support they helped me.
    I had a very similar problem that my first layer was fine then it would not lift and it dragged across the print.. Turned out to be the fan with out it it heats up the ramps and then it causes communication error preventing the z-motor from operating properly

Call them they helped me in about a day.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I suppose you could upload the stl, if someone can print it successfully you'd know it's in the printer, but I imagine you have tried other prints with the same issue?