1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Axis - precision and accuracy

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Ziggy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Is it something to do with the firmware. When i received my printer it was working fine. Then I install the latest firmware update and that is when i think it went down hill from there. Mike guided me to the thread where Jerry uploaded the firmware for the auto bed leveling, and that is when i noticed the ribbing issue.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

And speaking of nuts.

I've been focusing on getting the basic stiction/friction between the rod and nut as low as I can on the Z Axis. I don't want the ribbing to be masked by excessive stiction or friction between the rod and nut.

The general recommendation from the CNC world is that the lowest stiction/friction is achieved on stainless threaded rods by using nylon nuts and dry ptfe lube. I cleaned up my rods very carefully before doing this so they had no residual lube or crap on them.

I've now succeeded in getting small but near perfect ribbing! But this is still a step forward.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

It suppose it is possible there is an issue with the current firmware. However since some 20% Robo owners with current Robo firmware are not experiencing the ribbing problem, the evidence is not strong.

I have already tried the latest Marlin from github with no evidence of any improvement in the ribbing on my Robo. I also did a comparison of the code between the latest Marlin and the current Robo firmware but could find nothing which pointed to bugs in Z planning, movement controls or steppers.

But I suggest you go back to the Marlin version you had been using and check if you see a difference in Z behaviour.

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

We seem to have a problem with a microstep position snapping to the wrong microstep. If there was a problem with a tooth on the rotor it could make a full step a bit weaker (less torque) with some periodicity related to the number and width of the stators. Does this make sense? I'm open to these suggestions but I don't see them corresponding to Ziggy's measurements yet.

Also - thanks Ziggy for your persistence in this debug.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I have on my list of possible causes some variation in the rate of and separation between the 320 step pulses being sent to the A4988 driver which might cause the A4988 to miss/add steps.

Marlin uses a 2mhz timed interrupt routine to send step pulses. So in principle they should be well controlled and reasonably uniform. Further, there are 10's of thousands of Marlin users with no stepping problems, so the likelihood of this being an issue is low.

I also looked at the step pulse widths (which are just over 3us) and separation (which depends on speed of movement). As there was no reason to check further, I have put this possibility aside for the moment.

6. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Are your threaded rods dead center in the holes at the top of the housing? For me it seems no matter what adjustments I make mine rides that side wall. The opposite side is towards the outside as well, not as bad as as the left though.
    They maintain the position there But now that I am watching the left side I would bet money that is part of my problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

If that nut is resting inside at an angle for some of us, that could be it right there!

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

My rods are close to dead centre and there is only a slight wobble at the top of the rod when they turn.

I think what you have shown in the photos is more likely to cause Z wobble than Z ribbing.

There are a few reasons why your rods are like that. No particular order.

- Rods (especially 5/16") may not be sitting vertical in the coupler. Sometimes there is teflon tape wrapped around the rod to make the 5/16" rod sit tight in the 8mm coupler.

- The coupler may be bent (ie not a straight cylinder). I think this probably happens when someone tries to tighten up the squeeze screws without holding the top end of the rod firmly.

- The coupler may not be sitting vertical on the motor shaft. For some unknown reason the motors have two flats and if you don't have the flats facing away from the squeeze gap it doesn't want to sit vertical.

- And some couplers are just plain poor quality - ie holes drilled off centre etc.

9. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

10. Peter

Peter Member

Problem is this. Just one revolution of the stepper will lift 8mm.
    Thats not exactly going to give precision for z axis.
    These are better for fast axes like x and y.

11. Peter

Peter Member

I'm wondering if a neat resolution and stability improvement might be to get an ultra fine M9 or M10 Threaded rod, with 0.75 or 1mm pitch, turn down one end so it locks into the 8mm couplers properly. Then machine some nuts for it to fit in the m8 nut holes. Lots of work to machine, but could be an easy upgrade to install if someone else does the machining for us. Obviously the firmware needs changing for the increased steps per turn that would result.

12. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

13. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

My understanding is that stepper motors are only accurate when on a full step. It has been mentioned before, but wouldnt it be worthwhile based on that to disable microstepping just to see if the issue goes away? It would either eliminate the microstepping thought completely or bring it to full light.

14. Peter

Peter Member

Hmm. I dont believe for a minute that too much friction is the problem. The torque of the nemas x2 only has to over come the force to lift the carriage. A tiny distance at a time.
    Well lubed rods 9f any pitch wont be the problem. What magical thread would be ideal? Maybe I can machine the perfect non standard rods? Yes, I have the tech at my disposal.

15. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

I thought it was a little strange too but apparently some research went into it...

It looks like the stock imperial rods are relatively close to 2mm per revolution.

16. Peter

Peter Member

Research? Interesting. Maybe so but

"The fine thread means the threads are at a smaller angle from horizontal. This translates to the force from the weight of the x axis assembly being amplified in the vertical direction"

Doesnt sound like the full story. "Hey my engine isnt powerful enough to drive up the hill. I'll find a steeper one, that will be easier!"

Taken by itself, The logic isnt good.

I may have better results since I threw away the hopelessly weak z rod holders and replaced them with some cnc machined ones. My z rods are "solid" with nothing touching the case.

Additionally if I do try it. I wont be using off the shelf fasteners (which arent intended to travel all day anyway).

17. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

My z-rod holders were cracked on delivery. They travel about as well as I do. I've got brackets at the tops of the rods for now. Since I'm going to have to redesign the two pieces that travel up and down the threaded rod anyway, I may do dual smooth rods on each side. Something significantly more substantial to hold the bottoms of the rods as well. When I do it, it'll be detailed here... http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/donhuevos-e3d-bowden-fed-x-carriage.2555/

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

*sigh*

Ok so, with translational forces you have what are called point of contact. Points on a surface that contact points on an opposing surface to make movement possible. With a spur gear you have 1 point of contact laterally, with something like acme thread you have many many points of contact. These points of contact make more precise movement by restricting points of non-contact between the two surfaces.

With a coarse thread you have less points of contact because the number of threads per distance are less. Thus a finer thread means more points of contacts, meaning more friction. Thus the amount of torque required is greater.

The logic is indeed sound.

19. Peter

Peter Member

I understand that more engaged threads can equal more contact points, but im impressed if its causing the level of increased friction. It sounds like you have tried. That doesn't mean it cant be made to work. Its not really like the z axis is doing much especially with two motors...

So anyway, just recess the thread in the nut or make the nut shorter, less threads means less contact area but it also means higher contact pressure. I would bet there is a decent oil or grease that would make this a whole lot better, especially if the rod threads were precision made. I just want better prints and im sorry to say im not 100% convinced by the engineering statements coming out.

Either way if I attempt it its my time wasted.

I wish there were affordable precision ball threads that had lower pitch. Like 2-3mm.

20. Peter

Peter Member

I gues I just assumed that the two nema 17s would make light work of the z axis esp since they have such a low 'duty'.