1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Axis - precision and accuracy

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Ziggy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Bob64

Bob64 Member

I think we need someone to do the rotation test on just the steppers to eliminate the whole friction throwing the steps off.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I think ziggy already did this test.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes I did this test. That's where I found the issue with the steppers being disabled between moves then jumping forward/backward to the nearest full step before moving again.

Speaking of friction what is the best (lowest stiction/friction) combination of nut and lube on the threaded stainless steel rod?

Putting aside acme threads, ball threads and bearing bronze nuts .....

The general recommendation from the CNC world is use a plastic nut (nylon) and dry PTFE lube on a stainless rod.

Anyone disagree with that?

4. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

Here's a stupid question... If you disable the disabling in the firmware and then start a new print, will you be able to adjust the z-axes during the skirt to fine tune?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. That's what the "baby stepping" function in Marlin is for.

6. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

Sorry, I meant reaching into the printer and turning the threaded rods by hand but using the manual arrows in Repetier would work too.

7. Peter

Peter Member

8. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

9. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Donhuevo, the rods are locked as soon as you start the print. So no adjustments. I found it was good to break me of that habbit anyway.

10. Peter

Peter Member

That habit of desperately twiddling rods and hoping the first layer mess will come good? hehe

Cool Donhuevo. Hopefully, Z-axis will dial in well enough (and with the anti-backlash nuts etc) that all the fussing with paper spacers and z tweaking will be reduced or eliminated.

The worst part of prints is always the start. lol.

I'm pretty pleased with my first print today though, my first print after the E3d and LCD upgrade, plus my new vertical rod holders were installed. pretty clean sides, just a basic cylinder, but a good literally 'first' print after alot of mods.

20140608_030749.jpg 20140608_030812.jpg 20140608_030902.jpg 20140608_030928.jpg 20140608_030943.jpg
    The 'rougher' end view is the bottom.

These are my new CNC machined z rod holders.
    20140522_144813.jpg 20140523_182547.jpg 20140523_183611.jpg

Next print is my top mount spool holder.

3 people like this.
  11. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

where did you set those smoothed rod holders?

12. Peter

Peter Member

Designed them and had them cnc machined from billet in China. Even so, they were expensive. But they are a prototype. If I make more they will be a bit cheaper as they dont need to have so many threaded holes etc.

They are so solid though, the vertical rods feel great.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

14. Peter

Peter Member

Ive been meaning to read up on the autolevel improvements.
    How do you think it could integrate?

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I can see some slight Z Ribbing in this print . I presume you have disassembled the rods, couplers etc at some point?

17. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

This is definitely going to come out wrong but I got good at twiddling. I'm all dialed in before the skirt is up. That sounds even worse but you get what I mean.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a quick update on progress with the Z Ribbing.

I am working my way down the mechanical chain from Z nut to motor systematically. I am currently testing/working on a number of potential issues with the couplers including slippage at the motor shaft squeeze collar where the forces are very high. This is taking lots of time as I have to disassemble reassemble the printer Z axis and mechanics and wait for Loctite to cure on the couplers every time I look at and test one possible cause.

If I can't pin down anything as an issue with the couplers, next focus is the motors.

Just a matter a time and patience.

9 people like this.
  19. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Thanks ziggy we appreciate the time that you are putting into this issue. I hope the robo team is helping you out.

2 people like this.
  20. Peter

Peter Member

I had a bad coupler out of the box, so yes i replaced one, it was bent so bad that the threaded rod swung around pretty wildly.
    What is the implication of having disassembled the rods? Prior to my major list of upgrades (and before i removed the bad coupler) my z ribbing was 10x more awful.

Somewhere to pay a bit of attention during the teardown, the holes in the base plate for the z-rod nema motor screws are wayyyy oversised, like almost m4 clearance hole for an m3 screw. Presuming that the cnc cut base plate of our printer is infact 'true to drawing', (which i'll be bold enough to assume) and the x carriage is assembled accurately from molded and accurately cut parts.....
    I think bad motor alignment is a major issue, especially since the assembly quality from the factory was a little dubious.

I want to find some thin wall plastic tube/straw and 'shim-out' the nema motor screws so they are centered and concentric. If you look at the bottom of my printer you can see that the nemas are a few degrees out of square.

Nice work on the testing.

I'm going to go twiddle some x-rod right now!