1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

reprapdiscount LCD display

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, Jul 26, 2013.

1. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

My current Firmware (according to Matter Control) Is ROBO3DR1V2. I'm adding the Graphics LCD controller and I'd like to have this current firmware available in case things go south. Anyone have a copy of it?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

Ok, thanks Mike..I'll move forward and give it a go.
    Steve

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

And this is a PIA because there are bug fixes and new features in the latest development Marlin which could be useful.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Wouldn't be a huge challenge to do a merge with what we have for the current Robo version.
    Just time, which, now that I mention it... is the killer ;)

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I had in mind to do exactly that and produce a "if you want to try it" new version. But at the moment the mods to Marlin are happening at a frantic pace. And some of the mods being proposed (and in some cases implemented) are a bit dodgy IMO. It's kinda fix one thing, break two at the moment.

Hopefully this will all settle down soon a there will be a new stable version.

#306 Ziggy, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  7. Vader1974

Vader1974 New Member

I purchased the REPRAP DISCOUNT SMART CONTROLLER. I have the controller plugged into the Robo3d and I get nothing but a blue backlit screen and the dial makes a clicking noise when depressed.

What am I doing wrong? I have read through many pages of the forum and updated / changed firmware with no success.

Help me Obi-Wan! Your my only hope!

IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7781.JPG

Also, Where does the fan attached to the bottom cover plug into the main board?

#307 Vader1974, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

A few things to try:
    Make sure that the wires aren't switched and going to the wrong place.
    adjust the screw that sets contrast
    Barring that, you have a bad unit. We've seen this a few times. (I think literally twice, but both have been fairly recent) RRD or whatever reseller you worked with will have to work it out for you. If they're shitty about it, DM me and I'll see if I can help.

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Oh, regarding the fan connection. It connects to an aux connection between where you connect the LCD and the polyfuses. I am away from my printer right now, but this is mentioned in a plethora of threads on the forum, so you should be able to find it if someone else doesn't chime in. browse back through older posts on this forum. Also try the E3D review and installation thread.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Vader1974

Vader1974 New Member

Thanks! I did not even notice the contrast screw, but alas it did not work. Thankfully the supplier is sending me a new one.

Printed Solid likes this.
  11. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Is there a manual anywhere with instructions for how to add preheat settings for materials other than ABS & PLA?

12. Printed Solid

Staff Member

You need to change those from firmware.

I always just set manually under the control menu.

13. daniel871

Would it be worth a project thread to detail out how to add a preheat setting profile to the controller for something that you may do a lot of?

Like how to add a preheating profile for Nylon/Bridge if you do a ton of it?

I'll look into it some time in the next few weeks (after Mother's Day and all of the graduation things happening this month) if nobody else gets to it before I do.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

He hasn't been around much lately but @Ziggy is the best resource on arduino modifications

15. ToyDesigner

ToyDesigner Member

I set up a Discount RepRap XXL controller today very easy to install just open the bottom up then plug and play on my Robo3d R1v2.
    xxlrobo3dr1v2image1.jpeg

How Do I Get Offset Correct?
    This is with the V2 Works great but I need to edit the Z Offset to a Negative number but it only goes positive up to high number and down to lowest 000.50. See below do I need to edit firmware or something to enable that? Or is the offset a positive number

xxlrobo3dr1v2image2.jpeg xxlrobo3dr1v2image3.jpeg xxlrobo3dr1v2image4.jpeg

16. Droid

Droid Member

I adjust my z offset in my slicer, with the lcd if you selected the 0.50 or higher number its going to raise it off the bed more

ToyDesigner likes this.
  17. ToyDesigner

ToyDesigner Member

Ok thanks, that makes more sense that the higher number is off the bed.. I had made an adjust before when using software via USB and had a note about using negative number. Yesterday, I just hooked up and and tested it but was to low on the axis and then I made it even lower. Once I get this Z axis/offset thing straight I will be dancing for day (minus the fact I dont dance).

18. daniel871

Is there a way to change the clock to show estimated time remaining instead of print time since program start?

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

@Ziggy has been working on that but for the graphics LCD

20. daniel871

One more question about the regular LCD.

What does the sub-menu section about AutoTemp do?

It's disabled right now and has some limit ranges, etc.; Marlin Firmware descriptions say

http://reprap.org/wiki/Marlin#AutoTemp

So... would the LCD function basically do that for you?

Not planning on messing with it right now since S3D is doing such a good job with everything, mainly curious about what it is.