1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

reprapdiscount LCD display

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I have an XXL controller on the way for my R1. I sure hope mine is a simple plug-n-play ordeal because I really don't have a bunch of spare time trying to figure problems out.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The XXl and normal LCD display are essentially identical except for the larger screen and resulting placement of the components. It will work the same.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

The XXL and Plain smart controller (the smaller screen version that we don't carry) are just plug and play.
    A few things that have confused people:
    1) Gcode goes on the SD card, not the stl file. STL file has to be sliced into code before it can be interpreted by your printer, otherwise, how would it know thinks like infill, layer height, etc.
    2) You do have to remove the SD card reader that is preinstalled on the robo. Plug the XXL adapter in in its place.
    3) You can only move z axis and extruder at the 1mm and 0.1mm settings, not at 10mm.
    4) The firmware has a cold extrusion prevention settings. I think it is at ~180. So, if you try running the extruder below that temperature it won't move. I also don't think it gives an error message, so it is fairly confusing.

The Full Graphics card is completely different and is not plug and play. Some firmware updates are required, but there are guides on this site if you dig around.

da9l likes this.
  4. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

I have purchased a RepRap discount smart controller.
    I am confused as to how should the connections be made to the printer's board.
    Pics are attached.

In the LCD's adapter, there are two connectors (small and big one as shown in pic) while in the printer's board there is only one connector.
    When I plugged in the LCD, it's screen blinked once and then there was no display.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You need to remove the cable that goes to the SD card reader that comes on your printer. You can throw that one away.
    Then it should be pretty obvious where it plugs in.

If you didn't plug it in there, then wherever you plugged it was the wrong place, so it would make sense that the screen wouldn't work. Hopefully there is no damage.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

Now its working perfectly.

Thanks

7. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

Although smart controller is working fine. Sometimes, the display goes blank with only its light on.

I have to plug in and out the connectors of controller before printing as I have not printed its enclosure.
    Is plugging in and out causing such issue?

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There should be a small potentiometer on the board, most of the Chinese cloners used an incorrect value for the pot, so it is very touchy, just a smidge goes from no display to totally washed out display. Maybe try adjusting that pot.

9. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Hmm i wonder if thats whats going on with mine thanks!

10. Ravindu

Ravindu Member

Thanks WheresWaldo..

11. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I bought and tried the reprap full graphics smart controller and what a nightmare that was. I did the whole firmware modding thing but I still couldn't get it to work properly. Main problem was the hotend wouldn't print as long as I was printing from the controller. But everything worked fine while using Mattercontrol.

So now I have a reprap full graphics smart controller sitting in my parts bin doing nothing.

12. Sonny's Robo3D

Did you upload the library? I took me two times uploading for it to work

13. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

At first I didn't know I needed to so that's why the LCD would light up but there wasn't any text on the screen. That's when I did the whole firmware modding thing with updated the library, etc. Then the controller's screen displayed the printer info and whatnot. But I still couldn't get it to work properly. Kinda bummed me out because I hate throwing away $$$ on something that doesn't work for me.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Might be a bum controller.
    Those RepRap discount ones are the cheaper end of the spectrum (not that this is a bad thing, I have one of each on mine here).
    Of the two the non-full graphic was the easiest to get up and running (and it was certainly cheaper).

15. Sonny's Robo3D

20150920_010101_resized.jpg 20150920_010116_resized.jpg Definitely could be a bum controller. I put mine and have had no issues after I had to upload the library twice. Although for the life of me I can't get the display to only show one extruder. I put the marlin 1.02 version of the dogm_lcd_implementation.h but still same issue - Has anyone solved that?

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You will need more than just Dogm, but it would be far easier to use my modified version of 1.1.0 instead.

17. Sonny's Robo3D

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yeah, and if you read message #71 in that same thread, you can see what is enabled by default.

One thing to note, if you use M565 in any gcode scripts, it will be ignored by Marlin (It was never officially supported). You will need to change the M565 Z-n.nn to M851 Zn.nn. Please note that using M851 your z_probe_offset is POSITIVE.

If you don't want to be on the bleeding edge, you could also try replacing all the dogm files. I am not sure that replacing only dogm_implementation.h was enough. But I don't recall for sure, it has been a long time since I used Marlin 1.0.0.

#338 WheresWaldo, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that was a argument all over the Marlin developers...

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Their eventual understanding was the extruder is above the probe, so the extruder is positively offset from the actual probed location on the build platform.