1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

reprapdiscount LCD display

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Dbeal

Dbeal Active Member

I have installed my full graphic lcd and I love it, Installed firmware, printed enclosure and brackets attached it to the Robo3d. I want to say thanks to Galaxius, Mike, Mark, Ziggy and to anyone else who has had any input on the forms.

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Generally it`s when i`m testing stuff. My computer is a few feet away and when I`m moving the printer around a lot it`s easiest just to use the control panel to move the Z up and down.

I also want to see about having an extruder control for secondary extruders. Right now I can only control one extruder.

I`d also like to rearrange the jog commands so you select axis before movement increment. Does`t make sense to me the way they have it.

3. Jaeson Cardiff

Jaeson Cardiff Active Member

Hey all. Having a slight issue with my LCD. It won't show the files on the SD card (I've tried a few) and it seems to be missing the controls for manual adjusting the Z axis as well as the extruder. Any ideas? Flash the firmware?

And Happy New Year!

4. Jaeson Cardiff

Jaeson Cardiff Active Member

Cancel that. Thanks Matt! Printed Solid FTW.

5 people like this.
  5. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

AFAIK, that's a known issue of overheating RAMPS, usually a cooling fan solves it...

2 people like this.
  6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

BS
    My rams are blown with cooler all the time.
    How ever i found one thing that triggers it. A propane lighter with a clicker that makes the spark. You get close enough to the LCD controller and it goes CHINESE on you.

ALSO
    everybody using my feet from thingiverse
    I think robo guys need to redesign their printer shell. Its too low !!!! :p

3 people like this.
  7. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I have the same problem with my XXL controller that Denys has. I have a fan over the ramps card and the controller still goes wacky. Its a nice controller when it works.
    Denys do you have your computer connected to the printer at the same time you are using the controller.

8. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Robert, I stopped tethering to a PC since I installed an LCD - I save to an SD card and print directly from it.

3 people like this.
  9. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Denys, even un-tethered you still have the display problem???. If I use the XXL controller with no connection to my PC, my controller it seems to be OK.

10. AJinFLA

AJinFLA New Member

Hi Fellow robothusiasts. Sweet, picked up my self leveling R1 this weekend. Was bought in Jan 2015, wondering if I'm all good now with what must be updated firmware ? I see this thread is oldish, I am putting on the reprap full graphic setup, Is there a limit to the size of the SD card I should get for it, and is it true, large size is faster than micro w adapter? Can you please send me link to newest updated or tutorial I need. Got sick deal from guy not using or I damn sure would be supporting you SOLID. also subject not on this thread but while I have someone, I want to add fans. 40mmx40mm by? I see few sizes, wonder whats best, also see some 2 wire, some 3, and a ball bearing model. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. So happy to belong to the site and now to join what appears to be a very close knit, supportive, intelligent and a little sick or insane bunch of people. Feels like home, LOL. Thanks in advance. AJ

2 people like this.
  11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

gcode files are really small, so no need to go all out on SD card. The ones I sell come with an 8gb micro with adapter. No issues there.
    With the full graphic, you will need to make a firmware mod. @Ziggy has posted some great firmware mods for this. You'll have to search for the thread though.
    For fans, you have access to a 12V aux on the board for 2 wires. The ball bearing model will be quieter.

12. AJinFLA

AJinFLA New Member

Thank you so much Sir. You guys really are the best. That was so quick, so appreciated. I swear this forums members had a very big impact on my decision in making this brand purchase. You Mike K and my Florida neighbor Mr. Tomlin. Was in his neighborhood but had no internet to reach him, Can't wait to meet him. No smoke blowing, you guys are incredible. TY again.

13. Michel Cuhaci

Michel Cuhaci New Member

I also have the occasional weird characters on my LCD screen but they happen when I touch the nozzle of the printer trying to clean it. In my case, since it is winter here up north, the house is normally dryer than usual (I don't use humidifiers), the static electricity build up on me causes the screen go funny. In general, I avoid touching any part of the printer once it has started printing. Luckily, so far, the static did not kill any electronics!

14. Vkial

Vkial Member

Hello guys,

I want to buy the reprap lcd but in france it's very difficult to find this pieces whithout duty or import. Anyway i have found a seller in france with the lcd reprap discount but i want to be sure that is the good one.

http://www.reprap-france.com/produit/370-ecran-lcd-20x4-avec-support-sd

And i want to know that the only thing i need to do when i have it is to print the support and install the lcd screen on the board and i'm ready to go ?

Thanks

15. Michel Cuhaci

Michel Cuhaci New Member

Vkial,
    Looks exactly like mine, and I have no problems with mine, I am using the latest Marlin Firmware.

16. AJinFLA

AJinFLA New Member

I have my full graphic smart controller hooked up and running, however when I go to print from the sd card ( in hopes I wont have prints stop after hours) I click the file folder I want and the next screen shows what looks like a D with 2 small dots following. I loaded files without folders but they dont show up at all. they are stl files. Do I need to format them differently? Using Cura (for now) appreciate the help AJ

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They need to be GCode. Sliced STL.

18. AJinFLA

AJinFLA New Member

[Y Mark. I figured I must have wrong format or something. Now seems my ebay refurbished scandisk's are trash too. So run them thru a slicer? I'm using cura now but I keep getting locked up, I have taken bottom off robo-berta. I have 40mm fan on board and a 6" side fan blowing under for Arduino (have feet) and across the bed and I still get print stoppages.

Is Cura slicing for me automatically? I never do anything but import stl files.

Do you print from the program called slicer also? I was hoping printing from SD card will eliminate the ruined prints. I am stuck with freeware only,poor, shied away from matter control due to comments here and repitior host I heard was for more advanced users. Is there an option I am missing?

Thanks for all your help as usual Mark. Can't wait til I am somewhat proficient and can really utilize your experience. I can't talk the talk yet, much less walk the walk. Really man thanks. You never talk down to anyone on here, Ziggy and a few others as well.

Printed Solid likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What you import into the slicer is an STL.
    What you get out of the slicer is GCode.

This is true if you use MatterControl, repetier host, cura or any other program to do the slicing.

The printer runs on GCode so if you want to print from the SD card, turn it into GCode first.
    Export the GCode to the SD card, mount it in the printer and then launch the printer from that. How you do that last step depends on the front-end program you are using. With Simplify3D I simply open the machine control panel and tell it to start a print from the SD card (then pick the one I want from the list--one I had previously copied on there).

AJinFLA likes this.
  20. AJinFLA

AJinFLA New Member

Sweet brother. I'm good to go thanks to you again!! Your the man my friend. Thanks so much.