1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D v6 Information, Installation Guides, and Review

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c. West

c. West Member

You know what I forgot the collet. I'll bet that helps it The fit seems to only be about 1mm that I'm talking about so hopefully that collet will stick out the top of the hot end enough to snug up the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

2. Thehead

Thehead New Member

Does anyone have a schematic yet for the R1 Plus board, the schematic on the first page doesn't seem to fully match my board.

Mostly What D9, D10 are for. I was assuming D9 was for the extruder heater because it's heavier duty since D10 is just two small pins.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's accurate. D10 is the heater and D9 is the fan. Are you sure you're looking at the right location?

4. Thehead

Thehead New Member

D9 is definitely the Heater and D10 is the print cooler for the R1 Plus. I had them wired up as suggested on the first page and when I turned the fan on, the heater turned on and vice versa. robo board.jpg

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

whoa. that's news to me. Can you take some more pictures of the board?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is not a standard RAMPS 1.4
    Well, at least non-standard connectors. The LEDS look like they are correctly positioned.

7. Thehead

Thehead New Member

1015151117_resized.jpg 1015151117a_resized.jpg 1015151118_resized.jpg It's a bit messy as I'm still working on it, but the biggest differences that I can tell is that they got rid of unnecessary pins (like the ones by where the limit switches plug in. Also, the power has two sections, one for 11A (bottom) and one for 5A (top) and is -,+,-,+ from top to bottom (in orientation to my picture below). As well as D9 and D10 functions switched.
    1015151117_resized.jpg 1015151117a_resized.jpg

Mike Kelly likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, that is not a standard connector set :)

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well that's certainly interesting. Have a lot of questions but I'll ask jerry.

You're right. the heater is now on D9 and the fan is D10. Apparently even though Pin 10 still controls the Heater it's labeled D9.

10. Thehead

Thehead New Member

So I'm assuming Robo hasn't released their schematic for the R1 plus board then?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They never did for the first one that I am aware of.

Maybe it was in the BOM (but that was not directly findable either).

12. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Never needed to, there are diagrams for the Ramps in a Reprap setup everywhere.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even for the RAMPS there were different configurations for the outputs for different versions of firmware. D8, D9 and D10 were Originally set as follows (for the generic RAMPS):
    D10 -> extruder 1
    D9 -> extruder 2
    D8 -> heated bed

There is this note on the wiki: "Note that Tesla & Tonok firmware use D9 and Sprinter, Marlin, and Johnny/Tonok use D10 for the extruder hot end."

So, ehhh... some consistency. That BOARD is different though at least the way the output connectors are done.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Robo doesn't really release information. It's all community driven since like 2013.

I guess they designed a modified ramps board but didn't feel like mentioning it to anyone.

The main differences:

D10 and D9 are flipped. Though for pinout/firmware purposes it's the same.

E1 is now a second Z driver. They redid the tracing so they share common pins. No firmware mods required.

Added 2 12v pins outs for LED's or fans

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Thehead

Thehead New Member

ugh, so now I'm having issues after updating the firmware as suggested. I'm getting very upset that the R1 plus is so difficult to deal with. my Z - axis will not move down now.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One of you Z switches is stuck or mis-positioned.
    Check it out.

That has to be the case since that is what tells the Z it is 'home' (or as low as it can go).
    So it goes up.

Thehead likes this.
  17. Thehead

Thehead New Member

I'll check that, thanks!

18. Thehead

Thehead New Member

yep, that was it, now the other issue after updating the firmware is that my stepper motors are super choppy in their movement and most of the time it seems like they don't have enough power. The pots were not adjusted and worked fine before so I doubt that is the issue.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)

You have (I think) eliminated everything else.
    It is probably the pots that need tweaking.
    Those are the symptoms of mis-adjusted POTS.

20. Thehead

Thehead New Member

So. I was sent the robo r1 plus firmware so I could try and go back to stock to figure things out one at a time, however matter control is not uploading it and I haven't found any other way to upload a hex file or even edit it.

What I ended up doing was opening up arduino with the firmware for the lead screw update file and the one for the e3d head and just swapping the values regarding z movement and steps into the e3d firmware (which I imagine I probably should've checked in the first place and that fixed it, however I have one of the controllers that I can't seem to get to adjust properly so I just stuck that in the spot for the 2nd extruder and everything seems to be fine now, although the z-axis stepper motors are a bit slow, but at least they finally work. It seems like I have a bit more research to do. I'm a fairly young mechanical engineer and electronics aren't my strength, but this'll give me a good chance to learn more it seems.

The scales are off quite a bit, the Y-axis is stretched to about double what it should be so there must be quite a bit different. This is so frustrating.

Edit: I think I got everything sorted, I watched every Tom's video on youtube which was very educational and helped me with tuning my configuration.h file. I just had to piece together what I needed from the leadscrew upgrade thread and this thread's firmware suggestions.

also, I found this link :
    which allowed me to set my potentiometers along with using the Pololu website for the math.

#360 Thehead, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.