1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Please Send Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrey Wheeless, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Jeffrey Wheeless

So there is a very good chance that a bridging of the gap happened with my multimeter and in doing so fried something. In that case is it recommended to buy another board or can it be fixed. Honestly I'm so so unsavy and the electronic side of it I had to Google what the MOSFET was, is there a good way to check for damage?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd say due to how cheap they are pick up some spare ramps or 3 install one and see what happens.

I have used these from Amazon but not in large hours

http://www.amazon.com/REPRAPGURU-RA...UTF8&qid=1461976752&sr=8-2&keywords=Ramps+1.4

http://www.amazon.com/RAMPS-Control...UTF8&qid=1461976752&sr=8-3&keywords=Ramps+1.4

http://www.amazon.com/Kuman-Printer...UTF8&qid=1461976752&sr=8-4&keywords=Ramps+1.4

Bear in mind each board was a trial for size and function. If you have a r1+ your board connections will need modified.

R1 I think your good

3. Jeffrey Wheeless

Bought all three and just for the sake of my sanity, is it easy to install? I'm assuming it's just like switching out the mobo on a computer (much experiance with).

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What model.printer do.you have ?

5. Jeffrey Wheeless

Robo 3d r1 standard auto leveling with m8s circa 2014 model

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as I know they will plug right in. You will need to place the included jumpers under the stepper driver and move the stepper drivers over from your old board. Very easy no soldering. You will need a small flathead screwdriver.

I am not 100% sure as I'm a r1+ owner

7. Jeffrey Wheeless

Sounds good to me, I'll let everyone know how it goes :)

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Good luck! Pulling off the ramps is intimidating at first but I think you'll be very comfortable doing the job once you have the parts in hand just remember to do it unplugged. Ask if you have any questions

9. Jeffrey Wheeless

Just to make sure I don't go overboard like has been my tendency; I am replacing the whole board not just the green part right?

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Picture please. The boards tend to not have consistent 'colors' :)

Remember that the RAMPS has 4 (or 5 if you an R1+) little daughtercards attached. You can move those to a new one or just buy one with those included.

11. Jeffrey Wheeless

Eagerly but cautiously switched out the boards and there doesn't seem to be anything blatently wrong. I will say, I'm not sure which board I used (from what supplier) but many of the metal parts had to be bent because everything was so crooked.

If there is anyone following the difficulty of switching out the boards it was pretty easy with basic knowledge and a steady ish hand.

Attached Files:

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good work. Sometimes people over-look the jumpers that are under the stepper driver cards. You sort-of need those installed :)

Some RAMPS boards come with those already installed and others not. Looks good.

13. Jeffrey Wheeless

So what part (if there is one) did I break? Like if I was able to desoder and reattach a new piece which would it be? I'm guessing the d10 slot on the old grey scale looking board... Just for my continued education.

Is there like a community tip jar where I can buy you guys parts for being quick and stuff to respond?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So, this was the one where the extruder heater wouldn't turn off?

I'd suspect Q1 (if you feel like repairing a 10 dollar part) :)
    I did repair one RAMPS but the cost of replacement parts was more than the cost of the board (I had to buy like 10 MOSFET transistors -- they wouldn't sell one-at-a-time).

RAMPS1_4schematic.png

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I use junk ramps boards as spare parts lol parts for.the board are.expensive as @mark tomlinson states. 6.00 for the mosfet 10.00 for the board

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. Jeffrey Wheeless

Wow it's crazy that there's almost no difference in price. I have to say this is one of the more fun repairs I've had to do. Since I bought all 3 boards would it be possible to use that one with the LCD to add it to the printer? Or is that a discussion for another time?

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can add that to any ramps board. Thats a full graphics so check out the thread for the firmware modification youll need to.do to use it

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

There is the full graphics display and cords and a smart adaptor plug the cords into the display plug the other side into the smart adaptor that goes into the bottom row of pins and the 6 pin connector to the left on the ramps board. Only fits one spot.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You have to disconnect the inboard SD card reader, but the one on the LCD controller takes over for it.

Geof likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I forgot they come with those ! Lol come to.think of it mines around here somewheres lol