1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Please Send Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrey Wheeless, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Jeffrey Wheeless

One more and I'm probably good. I got it all plugged in and working normal, but the matter control is showing extruder temp as 738 c (it's all cool to the touch so no chance of that). Do I need to update the firmware in the configuration.h. is there a reset or something I'm supposed to push after a melt down of sorts?

Currently the definitions are motherboard is 33 and thermistor is at 5.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thermistor for the e3d is 5 i though hang one and ill check

Edit:thermistor type is 5 for the reg e3d thermistor

#42 Geof, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

5 is correct for the e3d thermistor. Check to make sure the thermistor isnt damaged and the wiring is plugged into the correct port on the board

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Unless your using the stud thermistor ????

5. Jeffrey Wheeless

Well mainly how do I make my alert go away

6. Jeffrey Wheeless

and here is the alert by the way

Attached Files:

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id have to assume a thermistor issue honestly. If you turn it on and without heating it shows a high temp i believe that means its a short.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Another reason to like the stud thermistor. It is much harder to short the wires on it.

9. Jeffrey Wheeless

ill be damned, i checked through 3 of them and none of them worked and then randomly one seemed to kick off and it seems to be working again. By the way I got a pack of these and I love them if anyone is looking at getting some http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-10-100Kohm-NTC-Thermistors/dp/B00GD471PO work just as well as the other ones just dont come with the kit; but when you break one (ive gone through about 8 so far from melting and breaking and snapping) it doesnt cost as much to get a new one or take as long.

I honestly never realized a stud was an option, but frankly that is going to be my next purchase cause so far these things last for about a day till it breaks from me toying with something to much.

Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I replaced both Robos with metal stud thermistors and not messed with it since. They really are robust.

KTMDirtFace and Geof like this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad your up and running !

12. Jeffrey Wheeless

Hmm, almost there. For some reason it hit max temp again even though it was still cool to touch. I'm guessing it's a short but I'll update here as I go in case future generations can learn from my blunders lol. Also buying a stud now, do you have a preference?

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I buy from printedsolid.com

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have bought that pack of thermistors you have in the past. I think the last 2 i tried were useable...ther others i broke when ...i think i might have held out my tongue wrong when wiring or wired ok and just were duds

15. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the hole is to large to use on the new hexagon.

17. Jeffrey Wheeless

So just got back from doing other stuff and can finally get back to this printer, and I can feel how close we are to fixing all its issue (that I probably am causing). So the stud is in and it is awesome (direct connection to the board). All thermistors work and everything else seems to work, but now the steppers don't want to move.

In testing, when prompted to move they make the sound like they should be moving (all steppers) but none of them do. Assuming that I had plugged them in wrong I took the case open and compared pictures and it was how it was before. However that was still different than the wiring diagram, where the blue cable is furthest from where the screen plugs into. So I even re-plugged them all back in with the new direction and no change in noise or movement. Please don't tell me I've burnt something else out. And I promise this will be the last electrical thing I touch, probably.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you plug the stepper in backwards it will simply run backwards.
    This sounds like the stepper drivers are not putting out enough juice.
    When that happens the stepper motor will chatter, but not actually move.

So, a this point summarize what you have changed/replaced. It seems like (if memory serves -- not rereading entire thread) that we are chasing a different problem (not unheard of) and I want to understand what you have changed so far.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This will make sure we are giving you the correct advice for where you are at :)

Geof likes this.
  20. Jeffrey Wheeless

Don't blame you it's getting to be a long thread. It is good to hear that plugging them in wrong won't short them, and the though did cross my mind that maybe they weren't getting enough power. I don't think I had a good chance to test them after I replaced the board, so now knowing to check for that I'll check on the d10 slots and such to see and make sure they're all plugged in fully.

In the funky scenario they are all plugged in to the power there just not enough to go around; that probably means that I should unplug that screen huh?