1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Please Send Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrey Wheeless, Apr 28, 2016.

1. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

There is no method to change it via software. You have to turn a little screw on the driver board until the "right" amount of current is going to the stepper to make it move.

The goal is to have the minimum amount of current required to turn the motor if you're doing it without a multimeter (adjust screw, test, adjust again, test again, etc.).

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey quick question! You didnt disable the steppers did you??? Might need to just restart the printer and software

3. Jeffrey Wheeless

Not to my knowledge but it wouldn't surprise me. I've attempted a few restarts of the software and the printer as well as a software update as well. In changing out the small pieces, would it be bad to change all if them at once?

I gotta change the head gasket and some stuff on my car so I'll be back to do printer stuff this evening so no rush

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You are unplugging the usb cable ? It will keep.power to.the ramps. I would change one thing at a time. Its more traceable that way. Changing alot or even a few at once makes it complicated:)

#84 Geof, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  5. Jeffrey Wheeless

Yep turn off printer from the rear switch, unplug USB, then remove power cable every time I consider it truely powered off.

So I did single elimination of the chip and no success and no change, but something did occur to me: how many chips of that type am I to have on my board? The kit that I believe Geof recommended came with 5 but my old board had 4. So to prevent any power issues I could cause I'm gonna pause here until ye master of printer tell me to go again. Should I continue on with 2 chip systematic replacement, or am I missing a chip that I should replace with the red one (came with the kit), or a combination of other options?

6. Jeffrey Wheeless

I lied, got bored and continued with double elimination. In the process of going through some of them would allow for minor movement. When I say minor movement when it's supposed to move "10" it moves what looks like .1 but moves none the less. Stopping here for the time being, probably.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The normal ramps/robo uses X/Y/Z/extruder. The kit has one for X/Y/Z/Extruder1/Extruder2 so -- a spare.
    The new R1+ uses two for the Z so it uses 5 as well.

Geof likes this.
  8. Jeffrey Wheeless

Oh that's cool, I feel less crazy then. SoiI'll continue with the elimination and report back results as they're found and if not look forward to the tuning.

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry for the delay looks like mark has you sorted.

It sounds like it needs adjusted (the stepper drivers). If your concerned about the voltage on and adjusting you can always random guess. I have done it when i dont have spares. Adjust a little bit on the problem axis. Turn on and try. If it doesnt move the correct amount...turn it off and repeat. The only issue is over powering. If you over power the stepper will overheat. Its very odd that you have to do any adjustment and that all axis are out of whack.

What firmware did you use?

You can also look at your orig drivers set your new ones the same and give it a go.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I know. Makes me suspect something else, but rule out the cheap stuff first.

11. Jeffrey Wheeless

So I took it all the way to elmintation of the oringal things and it still didn't fix the issue. There is movement on the x and y but nothing in the z just loud crying.

I used the firmware folder named robo3dR1V2_M8_E3D with little to no modifications (minus those make by those in the e3d thread). I haven't tried tuning yet because I wanted to ask two questions: do I need to get the multimeter out and make this percise? Cause that's how my problem started. Also how much of a turn of a screw would change the setting to where I might need it; or how far would I turn it before I broke stuff?

I appreciate the help and no worry on any delay, it's the weekend and we all deserve a break.

12. Jeffrey Wheeless

Upped the power on the x by a 90° turn clockwise. This made the x axis noise become much louder and more aggressive but still just as abrut. If it will help I can upload a video although I'm fairly sure it won't, but let me know. Gonna stop here for now.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think you would be better off grabbing the firmware off robot site direct and try it again. Just in case

14. Jeffrey Wheeless

grabbed the latest from http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes and updated via the proper way and still same issue. Maybe It is the ramp board? I literally used the first one I touched in the amazon box (1 of 3) and from seeing what ive seen now its the only one that has pins that look bent, but there's no obvious damage anywhere. Its highly unlikely that all of my steppers would go out at the exact same time right?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

About as likely as getting four flat tires at once.

Loosing a RAMPS is not common though, but if you have spares I would absolutely try a swap.

Geof likes this.
  16. Jeffrey Wheeless

Would it be worth it to change out both boards and the chips on them while I'm going at it?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Don't change too much at a time or you will never figure out what was bad :)
    Since the RAMPS is suspect, change it (but use the same stepper driver cards).
    If you still have an issue then we know it is not likely the RAMPS and you can look at replacing individual stepper drivers.

Geof likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

19. Jeffrey Wheeless

Well I just did it twice because I thought I was crazy and let me know what you guys think (still haven't fixed it but might be very close). Changed out the boards and the quality was noticeable right away, the pins were even different colors. The more expensive board that cam with the screen looks great and shows how well it was made. After plugging everything in and giving it a second go to double check I plugged it into the USB and power like normal to test. Apperantly now it's not on any of my com ports and my computer is recognizing it at all.

Plugged in my spare mega 2560 r3 to USB without anything attached to it and it's picked right up. I swear I'm not making up these problems and I don't know how this is happening.

Could it be that my mega was bad and therefore not interfacing correctly and making it seem as if all the steppers were acting up? I did goof up and surge the heater ages ago and that might of damaged it, but then again I'm learning on the job here.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If it was me and it wont recognize the arduino and you changed the ramps put the new ramps on the new arduino and lets see what happens :)