1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

About to buy an R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nathanfish, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

So I'm just doing some thinking about different things I can do with my prints. I'm printing a 8"x4"x5.5" fixture to check the angles of a part we brake form. If i left off the top layer what woukd i use to pour into the print to make it completely solid? I would need this tool to last and maybe with some weight or something to bond it all together would help. Then I could speed up prints by using way less infill. I'm sure different epoxies or resins will bond differently to different filaments.
    This could open up a whole new world. Hydroforming is a large part of our business and if I could print tools to handle 5,000psi to form parts that would be huge.

2. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Im tempted to cancel this 24hr print 3 hours in and start over with way less infill..

3. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

High density impact foam would probably work however it takes a very long time to cure.

Depending on what I'm printing I normally keep my infill down to about 10%. Now if it's something like a sword I normally print about 50 percent infill

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

4. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

What about just fiberglass resin? I used to work with fiberglass a lot, and as much as I hate everything about working with it I feel like something I could just pour would work great.

Interesting, this print is looking pretty good so I guess I'll just keep it going at 20% fill but I have an opposite to print once it's done and I'll lower the infill down as low as I can and keep researching for something to fill it with. Since I got this printer to finally work maybe I'll just request to keep this second one they're sending me. haha.

5. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Fiber glass will be heavier and not as strong as impact foam or maybe you could use balistic gel. It has the same workability as fiberglass but cure time is less. And you can actually make it out of house hold products

6. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

All of our tools are built with aluminum plate and aluminum risers or machined out of a solid piece of aluminum so the problem I'll face is convincing people that the printed parts are strong and will last. We have tools that we still use that are 40+ years old.

If anything I would want the parts to weigh as much as possible I think to give it the impression of being sturdy.

7. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I think I would want something that will bond the outer layers if possible. Why do you say fiberglass wouldn't be as strong? It seems like that would do a better job of actually bonding but I don't know the science behind it.

8. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Printing beautifully and fails at 14.5 hours... Now that's frustrating

9. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I'm guessing if i wasn't still using mattercontrol i would be able to figure out my Z height and go back and start the program from there. Guess i should have just got SImplify3d up and running.

10. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

For simplify3d on my printer with the hex I'm using .85 and the chimera I use .79

11. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

well i got some polycarbonate in and finally got it to stick with blue painters tape, elmers glue stick, and 280 degree extruder temp. My issue is now that it will print for about 3 minutes and then all of a sudden the temp will slowly drop to 250-255. Wtf! It prints good at 270-280. Is my machine screwing up or will it not stay that high?

12. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

watch it, what may be happening is youre printing too fast at that temp so it's hitting the sanity limiter at 300. You can change what your limiter is set at in the firmware. mine is set at 375C on my chimera, and 310 on the hex

13. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Hmm ok. I turned it to 267 and its still dropping to 255 but still printing. How high can I go with my bed temp with poly? I'm at 85 and still getting corners lifting. Seems like this poly is feeding better and will be better material than the petg for what I need if I can figure it out.

14. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

if you print too fast your temp will go down. max bed temp is 100 but if it goes over it will sanity shut down

15. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Spoke too soon, got kinked and failed. Corners were lifting anyways. Off to try something else. Thanks again. It looks like it's bonding pretty well at 255 so I'll try leaving it there.

16. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

you could always try buildtak or zebraplate

17. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Amazon has buildtak but dang it's pretty pricy. Might overnight some anyways.

18. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

It lasts for quite some time from what I hear. I've never used it but some of the guys on the forum love it

19. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Cool, worth a shot. Thanks.

20. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

See any reason why the poly would have failed to feed? It's a lot more rigid than the petg so I was pretty confident it wouldn't bunch up.