1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

About to buy an R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nathanfish, Aug 6, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not really.
    If it is sticking to the nozzle rather than the rest of the print it may be printing a bit hot.

Raise the extruder off the bed and extrude 10mm or so. Does it come out and hang towards the bed or does it curl back up and stick to the nozzle? (the latter is bad, probably a bit too hot).

2. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

it seems to be coming straight out towards the bed. I dropped this next one to 236 and ill see what it does. If i'm printing just a small block without any detail what is the largest layer size i could print? I have it at .3 but could i go bigger to speed up prints?

Also, these blue LEDs are the WORST!

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

More filament extruded in a pass will print faster at the cost of some (minor) resolution.

4. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Well after 2 successful prints last night i went home for lunch to a failed one. I didn't add the oiler when i started this one which i think may have caused it but also i had a big glob of filament on the head. I added the oiler and started another one over lunch but i have no idea where to go with the filament sticking to the head. It's definitely messing up my quality and could have been the reason for this last failed one. Any suggestions other than switching to another material to try?

5. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Something had to have changed though because on the two 12+ hour prints i didn't have a problem

6. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Turns out the filament i thought was just sticking to my nozzle was actually coming out above the nozzle and piling up on the end of the nozzle. Is it ok to take off the rubber piece right above the nozzle? I tightened it up so i'll see if that fixes the leak. I know i remember reading about the problem somewhere but can't find it now. This gives me new hope.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, just might want to wrap the heater block then with Kapton tape.
    Why?

Because while most extruders use a set screw to lock the thermistor in place... the hexagon uses that black rubber boot.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Only very recently have thermistors starting being held down with screws. Kapton tape was the norm for quite a while

9. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

i ordered a threaded thermistor to tap into the head. I'm still randomly having problems with parts warping up off the base. Some will be perfect and others will be pretty bad. I'll probably experiment with a raft today but i can't decide if i need to go hotter or cooler with the bed to prevent this. right now i'm just putting down glue stick up until right before it starts printing.

10. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

So i finally got both of my printers running, purchased simplify 3d, and have spent the last couple weeks calibrating it. I just realized that my prints aren't coming out square on the Y axis. My printer auto levels and seems to print well but i printed a 3" x 2" tall x 1" wide block and it's noticeably not square on the Y axis but square on X. Any suggestions?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Picture of a print? How far off is the Y? Measurements?

Might be a loose set screw or belt on the Y but it would look significantly distorted

12. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

It's pretty bad. I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting.

Attached Files:

13. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

My Y belt doesn't seem to be loose. I'm printing something right now with mattercontrol to see if it's software related.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks like it might be a cooling issue. Consider adding a second parts cooling fan

15. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Is it possible that it's not auto leveling correctly? It's picking up 9 points just like matter control. Is there any way to troubleshoot that?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

9 points is normal, as long as it's touching the bed it's fine.

17. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I mean it's auto leveling in simplify 3d the same way it does in matter control so i assume it's working correctly. The second printer i have running matter control seems to print fine. I'm going to switch out the printers and see if it's the printer or simplify that's causing it.

Thanks

18. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

So i finally got some longer usb cables and hooked up both printers to my desktop. With the same simplify settings a 20mm test cube prints good one one machine but the other one still doesn't print square. i'm going to schedule troubleshooting with Robo but curious if anyone has any ideas. Y belts are tight, auto level seems to be working correctly.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Either something is loose/defective on the axis drive train or that printer has some wonky firmware settings.

20. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

The belt is pretty tight so i don't think it's that and i'm not sure what else mechanical could cause it. I'm going to try to reflash the firmware tonight and see if it fixes anything.

Thanks