1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hexagon Hot End?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Red Submarine, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Mobile Chernobyl

Mobile Chernobyl New Member

Just got my hexagon hot end setup - as I was tightening everything I noticed something interesting on the hot end - it's thermal break zone is rather unique! Unlike the e3D which is lathed down to create a thermal break - The hexagon guys (reprapdiscount? who actualy made these?) decided to weld this tubing http://www.mcmaster.com/#6100k192/=rnhw02 to threaded zones. Some seriously skilled micro welds here!
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. reprapdiscount

reprapdiscount New Member

Exactly, i mentioned few posts ago, that our hotend it's very different than the e3d, it's smaller and it's another approach, welding.

I can assure you that we are serious developers and we won't sell knockoffs. When i write Hexagon by RepRapDiscount, it's really developed and manufactured by RepRapDiscount. Actually we do sell only products purchased from it's orginal developers since this is our way to support the community, same as others support us.

We did this hotend 6 month ago, immediately after we finished the RepRapDiscount Bulldog Extruder, but released only 2 months ago, since we want be 100% sure it works well before sell it to public.

4 people like this.
  3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

[​IMG]

well that sucks,, if you break it...... you have to replace the whole heatsink rather than the just stainless steel threaded section......hmmmm

Edit: looking at the pic again looks like the stainless is the welded part (originally thought it was welded to the heatsink.

4. Mobile Chernobyl

Mobile Chernobyl New Member

Sorry if it came across that way! I was actually just curious who made this as it wasn't clear to me previously - I figured you guys did though!

I had a very similar idea involving the thin wall tubing - glad to see it can be utilized so well. I was considering silver solder vs welding as I really wasn't sure how to weld something with that thin of a wall. Who does the welding - you guys or someone for you? Very intricate work! Is the stainless portion press fitted into the aluminum heat sink or is it an M6 thread? It's hard to tell just from holding it and I don't want to try and force unscrew it just to find out (and break it by accident!)

5. reprapdiscount

You cannot damage it, because there is a key included in the kit, using the tools included it's impossible to break.

6. reprapdiscount

@all who contacted me for the testers

I will ship out tomorrow all test units:)

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

can you show me a pic of this key and where this key goes? stainless in the threaded portion is thin. i've bent this part of the hotend before by over tightening it.

2 people like this.
  8. reprapdiscount

Probably you don't own an Hexagon so you don't know which key i mean. Sorry but I am outside now and have no key by hand, but maybe some hexagon user will post a picture, if not i will post one tomorrow.

9. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

Here is some images from the kit I got from reprapdiscount

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. reprapdiscount

Yes exactly, thank you very much for posting, they key i am talking about, you can see on the right side.

11. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Hexagon Usage Update: Nothing to report except no clogs, jams or problems. I have used it now with non-st0ck nozzle (.6) and .4 stock end, nylon (618 and bridge), PLA/PHA, PLA, XT and t-glase. My e3d has been relegated to backup. It is a fine piece, but the Hexagon has been outperforming it.

4 people like this.
  12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

no i dont own a hexagon hotend... that's why I asked. Where does this key go and what is it used for? Allen wrench key? is the stainless threaded portion removal then? maybe instructions on your website on might help.

13. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

There is a flat spot right at the base of the threading for the tiny wrench it comes with, on the back side is a notch for a standard flat head as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

found this helpful video.online....

still doesn't answer my question though is the stainless steel portion removable?

6 people like this.
  15. AxisLab

At 1:20 in the video he goes to put the heater in the hole and it doesn't fit, too tight like mine. Then you can hear him opening another package and switch for one that fits right in. Tries to make it look like he was grabbing a thermistor lol. Busted.
    I still haven't been able to use mine because I am worried about damaging it if I force it.

2 people like this.
  16. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

ive had that problem with the e3d also, where the heater doesn't fit the hole. turns out there are different size heaters the diameters don't always come out the right size or something of that nature. So the e3d guys sent us the correct size heaters.

I find interesting that the hexagon has the same issue that the ed3 had when it first shipped... coincidence? maybe cause all the heaters are made in china and quality control is crappy.

17. AxisLab

AHH, he switches the heater, not the hot end. I see. I watched it again and he lays the first heater down, you can see he uses another leaving the old one in the top right of the screen..
    That's really good news for me then, much easier fix than a problem with the hot end itself.
    Thanks for pointing that out cambo.

18. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

if you look earlier in the this thread Elvira explains there was a problem with the heater not fitting so I am sure they would replace it for you

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm just gonna bore it out some more.

2 people like this.
  20. reprapdiscount

Please contact me by PM, around 25% early batches had that problem, you will get an replacement.

An eBay customer told me about that, after that i checked all my stock and fixed the problem. The heater cardrige hole in the Hexagon was 6.0mm now i changed to 6.1mm and all okay.

I purchase my heater cardriges from 2 different supplier, my staff usualy only check the resistance of the heater cardiges but not the diameter. Now with the 6.1 bore should be no problem.