1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hexagon Hot End?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Red Submarine, Mar 20, 2014.

1. reprapdiscount

reprapdiscount New Member

The movie it's made by Colin (Makerfarm.com) i see that he also has issues insert the heater cardrige:( but his new batch has fixed blocks.

The stainless steel part is a tube which goes thru the whole heatsink, i am not worry that the customers will bend the steel tube because there is a wrench key included and while tightening it there is no pressure on stainless steal tube in order to prevent this.

2. splk3

splk3 New Member

Did you mount it using the normal robo bolt mounts or did you add something to drop it lower? Trying to figure out how to mount mine. I may design a bracket to hold the fan/shroud as well and will post if/when I finally get that far.

3. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

I received my Hexagon a few days ago and the heater cartridge does not fit. Would it be OK to just file down the hole in the hot-end or will I need to get a replacement?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Drill out the hole in the hot end to 6.1mm

5. David Mortlock

Thanks Mike. Got to get me a 6.1mm drill bit then.

6. reprapdiscount

It's okay to file down the hole, in case you damage something contact me i send you free replacement. In case you have difficulties file it, contact me also, i will send you replacement block.

6 people like this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Try with a B bit (6.0452mm) and if that's too small you can try a C bit (6.1468mm). Instead of buying precisely 6.1mm

8. David Mortlock

Thanks Elvira and Mike

9. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

@splk3: I used the stock mounting points and just attached the Hex fan to one of the screws so it hangs by one corner. Not elegant, but effective. If you do this you will have to reset your bed level pint lower which means, if you have added the taller, stronger Z stabilizers you may have to cut the one side down to allow the head to go low enough, or raise the bed and lose 1/2" of vertical travel.

10. reprapdiscount

correct

11. splk3

splk3 New Member

Thanks. I'll with on an adapter that fits the shroud posted in this thread and upload it when I get done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

12. splk3

splk3 New Member

Just received my updated hexagon with bored out heater hole and rubber cover. that was fast! Thanks, Elvira!

Will start working on a fan mount/shroud that fits the robo and will post as soon as it is done!

4 people like this.
  13. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

I have a problem with my Hexagon Hotend. The inner steel tube with the heater block was pushed out of the alu cooling block while printing. It looks like the tube is just pressed into the alu with a slim fit.

@reprapdiscount: any idea how to fix this?

14. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

You can just screw it back in with the supplied wrench. Just make sure the brass piece at the top is backed out enough to allow you to move the steel tube back up.

15. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

Also, I received my hexagon with the insulated head today. It's awesome. I've literally never had any issues with clogging on the hexagon, but I noticed that the Robo seemed to have difficulty staying at the right temp. For example, I'd set it to 229, it would reach it and when it would start printing it would raise up to 238, then drop to 225 and gradually stabilize.

The insulated head solves all of this. The little silicone sheathing makes all the difference. I am loving the hexagon so far.

2 people like this.
  16. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

Screw in? There is no thread on the inner steel tube!
    It's not the heater block that felt of the thread, the tube felt out of the alu cooler. :(

17. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture? with the hot end off you can tighten from the back with a flathead, can you not?

18. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

Here is a picture of the inner part:
    2014-05-01 18.02.02.jpg

19. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

I guess that answers Cambo's question asking if it is removable. Yup. now the question is placing it back in.

COMsulting, how loose is it when you press it and twist it completely back in? I just tried wrenching on the first one I received, It does move with light force I see but I didn't go too far out of worrying of screwing something up.

2 people like this.
  20. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

Yes, it can be easily pushed back in, but it will be pushed out again by filament/extruder pressure.

I'm also wondering how the termal coupling to the alu cooler is working, because there is some play between the tube and the alu. Probably this is for assembly reason, in case the tube and the welded ring are not concentric.

Here a picture of both parts:
    2014-05-02 10.20.46.jpg

2 people like this.