1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hexagon Hot End?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Red Submarine, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You can talk about your printer type as well. I just meant that, if, for example, Bre Pettis, signed up to extoll the virtues of the wondrous new Makerbot 5th Gen:eek:, the robo team may take an issue with it.

As a printer owner, not a manufacturer, you're welcome to talk about your machine all you want.

2 people like this.
  2. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

Have designed a fan mount where the goal is to make an air flow that cools printed PLA. I use the fan from the original Bulldog extruder mount.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Well let me make this clear to everybody. I post honest opinions and honest reviews. If you guys haven't already seen my posts on this forum. I don't hold anything back unlike other people or blatantly lie. I can tell you, I've had more problems with products from china. It's cheaper for a reason....whether it be counterfeit, cheaper materials, just a mash of mass production and....no attention to quality at times....etc .....whatever... I can guess all day long.

You keep saying I don't own one; which I don't and I've told you I don't..... I hope the hot-end your sending me works like its supposed to and hopefully you checked it and its good to go before I get it for review. Like I said in your private conversation. I post honest reviews....whether it be good or bad......If I get it and it falls apart.....well you had your chance to inspect it before you shipped it me......Hopefully, I get it.. it works wonderfully and I'll have a nice review for you...

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

There's a difference between sharing your "honest" opinion and sharing blatant inaccuracies and off hand opinions. Please limit yourself to only speaking out of true experiences, and not conjecture and here-say.

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I would say the same for you Mr. Mike...;)

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you can find a time where I did that I'd like to see it.

7. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

@cambod: You might have bad experience with other chinese products, but it seems you don't have experience with hexagon. You should have suggested directly, that you are just guessing. I would like to hear your personal experiece, if any.
    How many supplyers do you know, who support their customers in foreign forums, before they even complain with them and replace the product, without asking where you bought it? I belief this is the behavor of a serious company and would like to see more companies like this.

3 people like this.
  8. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i did say that i was guessing.. go read back...post #111

9. Mobile Chernobyl

Mobile Chernobyl New Member

Hmmmm... the plot thickens. I was afraid of this happening with a design I've been working on with a watercooled hot end. The problem lies within the thermal expansion rates of the two materials. Aluminum has a coef of thermal expansion around 22-23 (highly dependent on exact alloy used) and Stainless around 14-16. The units are 1E-6m/m*degC .

It's not much, but it's enough to change a press fit to a close tolerance slip fit in some instances - and with the internal pressures that our hot ends reach (much higher then you'd think!) it can cause dislocation with a close tolerance slip fit.

It's better in terms of heat transfer to have a press fit with that lower larger chunk of stainless, but perhaps changing that to a small portion of M6 threaded rod would solve this issue all together without hindering the heat transfer too much, but slightly complicating the fabrication/assembly process. Reliability builds a good customer base though, as can be seen with the similar E3D hot end!

2 people like this.
  10. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

some close up inspection shots enjoy. Notice anything.....

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  11. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

WTF? Did you just get one so you could trash it apart? I suppose we're to believe you were gentle when handling it, even though you have been aimlessly hating on this hotend since the beginning?

You remind me of those melodramatic infomercial people that show how horrible and troublesome everyday tasks are.

Nothing but pure negativity.

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

2 people like this.
  13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

axis lab,

Your free to assume anything you want but why would I break it on purpose??.. wouldn't do me any good...but wow.... I haven't even started my review yet and your assuming I will have something negative to say..... total wow :rolleyes: ...for the record they sent me this for free so I could review it! ......I didn't ask for it. Thought you guys might like to see some close up microscopic type shots.....

This is what I do when I get stuff for review........Maybe someone else will appreciate them.....obviously you don't. Sorry these close up shots of the hexagon offended you..:rolleyes:

14. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Cambo3d, nice photos. You don't by chance have similar photos of the E3D to post for comparison?

4 people like this.
  15. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I do actually....The last photo is a comparison of the hexagon heatsink to the e3ds heatsink hexagon is notably smaller which is a plus.

16. Galaxius

I mean for the milling of the heat sinks and nozzle etc. like the ones you've done of the hexagon.

17. Galaxius

I mean close ups of the heat sink and nozzle etc. like you've done for the hexagon.

18. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

will do but will post the comparisons on a different thread.. so i can keep this one related to the hexagon..

4 people like this.
  19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What kind of macro lens do you have? Almost seems like you'd need a microscope for those shots.

20. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

yes those are done via usb microscope..comes in pretty handy for things like this...

6 people like this.