1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hexagon Hot End?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Red Submarine, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You'd need to weld/tack it in place.

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

What's the actual height difference from the stock hotend? Or maybe I should ask what the distance from the base of the x carriage to the nozzle tip is (please include the x carriage reference point used for the measurement, or a pic). I'm considering this hotend over an r3d, and I want to modify my fan duct design to work with this hotend's reduced height for everyones benefit.

2 people like this.
  3. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

I solved it be "deforming" the corner to the hole with a peening tool. After that, I was able to press the tube back in with enough strength. Hope it will hold.

4. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

hmm just registered on reprap discount site and was thinking of placing and order, might hold off a bit. Any other input as to the quality of these hot ends ?

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

@Mike K.; a weld would defeat the ability of the heat sink to be rebuilt if it was ever indicated. Another possibility though is a grub screw. Yesterday, I had to replace the thermistor on my Hexagon and did notice that that exact piece COMsulting had fall out was "loose" on mine. It didn't come out, but it did turn when I applied turning pressure changing the nozzle at the same time. Nonetheless, I am still having a fine experience with this hot end. Still no clogs or jams 2 lbs. of nylon later since my last post.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's definitely welded. This one has a solid bead all the way around the connection point, but on mine it just has 4 tack welds evenly spaced.

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

send it back! It looks like the top portion of your stainless tube snapped off your not gonna be able to fix that. i think that brass collar (brass collar with the flat screw slot ) was holding that assembly in??

8. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

On my Hexagon, the steel ring is welded to the steel tube (all around), but the hole steel part is just pressed into the aluminum cooler. This should be a very slim fit, but mine is not so slim.

My fix worked until now. I did a 2 hours print with no problems at all. Hope it will stay like this.

I like the hexagon hotend for its easy handling and very good results. No clogs or jams until now and realy smooth surface.

By the way. I'm using a Bulldog Extruder on a Ordbot Hadron Printer, printing with ABS (Hotend 210°C, Heatbed 60°C).

9. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

but is it gonna be reliable.?? your gonna be swearing after 2hrs..6hrs.. maybe even 14hrs.... into a print and your hotend falls apart. Send it back!

10. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

The brass collar is not connected to the steel tube. It's just to be replaced when using the hotend with a burdon extruder.

My fix worked until now :D (I will report, when it fails again)

11. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

yeah i was taking a guess but you should contact them and have a replacement on the way. ASAP
    or look into to getting an E3d. Mine has worked flawlessly. I dont use it for PLA ....but for other materials it works great.

for the tack welding idea.. you can't weld stainless to aluminum. good luck with that. If that's what they're doing.. could be a reason its falling apart... then again poor chinese made quality not surprised.

12. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I don't know if digs at their quality are necessary. I've seen dozens of these and dozens of E3Ds. The Hexagons seem to be very well made at a good price. I've seen occasional issues with E3Ds due to machining defects as well. We're not paying aerospace grade prices for any of this stuff, so it's no huge surprise that there are occasional escapes. The important thing is how the company responds.

This is the first released iteration of the design and RRD has been very quick to provide replacements when there are actual quality issues. A press fit does seem like an odd choice there though. If you contacted them, I'm quite sure they would send a replacement, but I think the fix will hold up well. It's essentially adding a locking feature to it. A better long term solution for the design might be some kind of a retaining plate.

7 people like this.
  13. reprapdiscount

reprapdiscount New Member

This one must be replaced, there is no fix, please contact me by PM with your address and size of the hotend you are using and i will send you one either saturday (today) or at monday. It's first time i saw this thing happen.

Happy you like our products, and i am happy you don't let yourself intimidate from other posters.

I have to mention that the user CAMBO3D don't own/don't use a Hexagon, i only can explain myself his negative attitude about chinese products by being once very dissapointed from a chinese product otherwise i don't know why he is posting all this without having or ever using a Hexagon hotend. I am little bit confused.

Since over 3000 units has been sold i can tell you honest, that i haven't heard back too many bad things about hexagon yet.

7 people like this.
  14. COMsulting

COMsulting New Member

@deadwood: The quality is very good, no concern about that. Mine probably just felt out of production tolerance. I would order it again.

15. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

I`m using a OrdBot Hadron printer + Bulldog Lite extruder from reprapdiscount - Elvira have been so kind to send me a hexagon hotend + the rubber isolator for testing.
    I`m working on a new extruder + fan mount

The fan on the right side cools the hexagon
    The fan in the front the printed filament
    In the left side I plan a servo for a Z probe

Have started printing the parts today, and hope to start testing the Hexagon in a day or two

Hope it`s ok that I put this here even if it`s not a robo printer.

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  16. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

Yeah I think I will be ordering one soon, also thinking about the XXL Lcd Smart Controler to as I am fed up of losing my laptop for hours

17. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

My setup is almost 100% reprapdiscount (when the hexagon is ready) - XXL LCD + Rumba controller..

18. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Hi @mundsen. It's great to share your experience.

I think (and I wasn't exactly given a rule book, so this is just a guess) that the robo team would take issue with people using their forums to promote directly competitive products such as another printer, but information sharing is always welcome.

19. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Go for it! My first printer came with a built in LCD and card reader. Being tethered on the robo initially drove me nuts. IMO, an LCD should be everyone's first 'mod'.

2 people like this.
  20. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

Ok, I`ll share my experiences using hexagon without saying more about printer type.. - hope that`s ok?

2 people like this.