1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hexagon Hot End?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Red Submarine, Mar 20, 2014.

1. reprapdiscount

reprapdiscount New Member

I will do some review pictures of the E3D, similar he did. He seems to use such kind of microscope:
    http://www.supereyes.cc/main.html

Can you confirm that the E3D is produced in UK, in case not all parts are made in UK, could you please let me know which, so i don't write wrong information in my upcoming review.

Can you give me one example of any of our products which we "copied" , so called counterfeits?
    This is a link with some products we developed, which of those are "counterfeits" ...?
    http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/forums/oss/

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I don't really like the looks of the chips in cambo's pics, but I also don't know how much they matter as I suspect they will probably be either wedged between mating parts of the assembly or knocked loose during a first print. Posting them first without the context of a printing test or assembly is probably a little needlessly sensational.

The relevant proof for his review will be the assembly and print experience.

@reprapdiscount, Elvira, I can appreciate your desire to defend your reputation here, but I'd ask that you not post your own review of a competitor's product. I think that doing something like this will go against the spirit of the reprap movement in general and start a bad precedent. Both yourself and E3D really are great community members. Make a good product and leave the reviews of competitor product to the customers.

5 people like this.
  3. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

Test mounted the Hexagon and heated it to 275c before I tightened the nozzle/heated block to the heat-break.

Then I added the rubber isolator, and tested temperatures gradually up to 270c - the rubber seems fine, no smoke or melting.

Next step is to mount it on my OrdBot and start test different filament types.

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  4. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread. Earlier 1d1 was telling about issues printing Taulman that gets clogger after few hours due to its diameter being 1.95 or more instead of 1.75. Looks like I'm having the same exact problem with my E3D. Is it normal for Taulman to be that thick? Tried Bridge and T-Glase...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. reprapdiscount

reprapdiscount New Member

@printed solid
    don't worry, i will only post pictures from exact metal parts he posted. I have nothing to say bad about E3D because it's a great product from great people. CAMBO's point of posting those pics is to show under microscope the machining artwork of "chinese products"

@denys dmytriyenko
    hexagon, e3d, and most hot ends will clogg if you are using out of specs filament or filament. I made few pcs hexagons for "out of specs" filament, i am not sure it could work, but if you want to give it a try, please PM me your address and i will send you one. I cannot guarantee it's working, it's just a test, okay :)

6. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

hexagon prototype 25mm cooling fan mount. had to make something since hexagon doesn't come with a fan shroud or mount..feel free to criticize the design... it's just something I put together at the last minute..

CIMG3023.JPG CIMG3021.JPG CIMG3017.JPG

Attached Files:

7. da9l

da9l Member

It looks great to me. Excuse me for a stupid question but will it fit into the stock robo3d extruder?

Regards, Daniel

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes it'll fit in the stock holder just fine.

I think it is advisable to increase the bore diameter to 2mm. At the small ID you're really limited on filament. Also Bowden tubes generally have a 2mm ID and it's ideal to keep a consistent ID all the way to the nozzle.

2 people like this.
  9. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

Have spent the most of the time outdoor in the nice weather this weekend, but did get some time working on my project tonight.
    Soldered cable on the CornLight and used shrink tube as isolators.
    Inserted the CornLight into the mounting hole in the filament fan mount (the other cable in the image is from the fan)
    Mounted the extruder mount + filament fan on my printer, and tested the CornLight.

That`s it for today :)

Attached Files:

7 people like this.
  10. Denys Dmytriyenko

@reprapdiscount

Thanks for the offer. I'm currently down waiting on the new glass bed, since my got chipped.

So, you are saying most of the hotends will clog on out-of-spec filament. My Taulman T-Glase is between 1.85 and 1.95 - is it considered out of spec? It is almost round (0.03-0.05 difference) and not very oval, as others mentioned. I'm not sure if I should give up or keep on fighting it? :)

11. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

Earlier on in this thread someone had the same issues as you do with their Taulmam filaments. Taulman stands behind their products and sent them a new spool that was closer to 1.75. Just contact them about it.

2 people like this.
  12. Denys Dmytriyenko

@Red Submarine,

Yes, I saw that part. That is not what I was asking though... Anyway, I guess I'll start talking to Taulman.

13. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Yes, Taulmann took good care of me and replaced out of spec filament. I continue to successfully use the Hexagon with all filaments (though I haven't tried any of the woodfill types). Carbon Fiber from ProtoPlant came out great! I am awaiting some new high strength PLA from Polymaker in China, the upgrade bed rails from r3d, and an out-of-spec test extruder from RepRap discount. I continue to be impressed by the Hex.

2 people like this.
  14. Denys Dmytriyenko

@1d1, thanks! what is the diameter of your replaced Taulman? Is it nylon or t-glase?

15. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

@Denys regarding oversize filaments. There are limits to what any extruder will accommodate. My personal experience with the e3d was mixed. It did take the heat, but I had many issues with clogs and rebuilds that I have not had with the Hexagon. Whether that is a function of better filaments, my experience or just plain luck, I don't know. I'm unwilling to reinstall the e3d to find out. I like this experience of successful printing that I'm currently enjoying.
    I have o'size filaments in both t-glase and nylon from 1.85 to 1.95. I haven't tried them in the Hexagon.

16. Denys Dmytriyenko

@1d1, thanks, I'll consider hexagon as a replacement. Have you measured new spools you received from Taulman as a replacement? What's the diameter? Is it true 1.75? Is it slightly thicker?

17. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  18. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

@ Denys; Just under, 1.73, at the beginning of the spool. Haven't checked it since. Nice and round.

2 people like this.
  19. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Got my Hexagon today and have taken some measurements.
    Stock hotend 66mm long to nozzle tip.
    Hexagon hotend 55.4mm long to nozzle tip.
    That's 10.6mm shorter. I haven't heated and tightened it it yet, not sure in the process yet??, but I'm guessing it will probably result in being closer to 11mm shorter. So I need to chop 11mm plus some additional clearance off of my fan duct height, this will be interesting. If you want any additional measurement before I fit this thing tomorrow let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Denys Dmytriyenko

@Galaxius, wow, that is so tiny! I'm rather used to a spacious space provided by E3D and relatively easy access to the nozzle even with 2 fans and shrouds front and back... Not sure how I will be able to fit all that with Hexagon :)