1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wesotn

Wesotn New Member

Hi, I seem to be getting errors about THERMAL RUNAWAY for "ID:bed" from the RC6 ABL version. Is anyone experiencing the same issues? If so please help me out. I am trying to finish a print by next Friday and can not due so due to this error. Thank you.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you need, rollback to the last working version.
    Sort this out after you have a break point.

3. Wesotn

Wesotn New Member

I've rolled back all the way to RC3 and it still gives me the same errors. My board was replaced by ROBO3D and if worked fine for a while, then it just started doing it again. Even when I set my PID levels to my printer it keeps messing up. I have also tried to change the timing difference between when it should trigger and that hasn't done anything either.

4. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Is the bed stock? Sometimes PID autotune can get messed up and give you numbers that dont work . This happened to me once on one of my other printers .Try setting the PID back to default . You can all raise the time and temp hysterisis in config.adv .

Try changing this code with 60 and 4

#if ENABLED(THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED)
    #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED_PERIOD 20 // Seconds
    #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED_HYSTERESIS 2 // Degrees Celsius
    #endif

Also make sure to check your wiring for the bed heater and thermistor. Could be something like a loose connector

5. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Is there any work in progress on scrolling text? Or is this even possible with Marlin Firmware. I read on the reprap forums that Makerbot has this capability with Sailfish firmware. I would really like this feature as well as many others I am sure. I have a tendency to create very long file names and have to cut them down when I save to SD Card otherwise they all look like the same part!

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I believe that scrolling text has been asked for multiple times in the past and the reason given is that it's takes too much time away from print resources to really make it viable, plus the constraints of using a small 8-bit processor.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@WZ9V I see you found my open ticket, trying to nudge the developers to stop adding new code and get on with finalizing what they already have.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

where is the fun in that?

;)

Geof likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

How do you explain to a programmer that they need to stop thinking like a programmer and more like a project manager?:(

It's too bad that most programmers I have ever known have such a narrow field of view, rarely seeing the bigger picture and it becomes an exercise in futility to try getting them to widen out.

Either way it looks like we might have a new RC build as soon as next week. So I can say my work, while not done, got me what I wanted.:)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. TomerO

TomerO Member

Question: why isn't there simply a Robo3d fork of marlin?
    If it's a technical/knowhow thing I will gladly help (once I'm done setting up my new v6)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, don't expect an answer that sheds a lot of light ;0

Most printers have their own fork for customization even though 95% of it can be done in the CONFIGURATION.H.
    Robo has recently started doing some things outside of that, but nothing major.

@WheresWaldo might have more insight since he works with them more .. I gave up on doing commits. No time to play with it.

TomerO likes this.
  12. TomerO

TomerO Member

Well. I think I might fork. it and add my local changes. Once I do I will share. (I'm so behind on so many thing since I'm doing a series of major upgrades)

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not a bad idea,I pulled my own fork a long time back and everything I added/changed I pushed from that.
    I would need to refresh my view since I have not messed with it in a while :)

Sign up for the dev list and you can keep track of all the bitc...I mean WORK being done.
    They do have a good core of folks, if just a bit undirected as a group.

TomerO likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Scott Lahteine posted this today:

"A quick update on Marlin 1.1. We're in the final stretch and need testing & feedback to catch any remaining issues. Especially aiming to refine homing, leveling, and Z probes ahead of release. Also: a new Advance Extrusion algorithm, SINGLENOZZLE, and more…"

Alan Childs likes this.
  15. Sonny's Robo3D

@WheresWaldo Great job with all this like usual. I finally updated to RC6 using ABL (much faster)

At first glance I see a bunch of updates that I have to play with. Filament change continues to be quirky though.

So I added a different option into the prepare menu "Disable Extruder". Which releases the extruder motor but keeps the X,Y and Z locked in place.

So if I find I'm running out of filament and I want to change, I can choose "Pause Printing" then in the prepare menu select "Disable Extruder" allowing me to manually remove the old filament and add new one without losing my last print point.

If you want to add into your menu list, you need to update 2 files

1.ultralcd.cpp
    after line 1128 add:
    //Disable Extruders
    MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_DISABLE_EXTRUDER, PSTR("M84 E0"));

2. language_en.h
    after line 63 add:
    #ifndef MSG_DISABLE_EXTRUDER
    #define MSG_DISABLE_EXTRUDER "Disable extruder"
    #endif

If you are using another language, you will need to add #2 to that specific language file and between the quotes put the specific translation.

It's a quick hack, but it works smoothly. If anyone does it, let me know how it works out for you.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Sonny's Robo3D A lot of what you have done will already be included in RC7, now if they would only stop adding code and take a step back and release the damn thing!

There are nearly 450 code additions since RC6 and it appears they are not ready to release anything even though the developers said they were targeting June 15th for RC7.

17. TomerO

TomerO Member

If this helps anyone, here is my own github fork of Marlin with my changes
    https://github.com/tomerorian/Marlin

The branch is robo3d-tomer.
    It contains all of @WheresWaldo changes + @Marquis Johnson RGB lights with my changes and twists.
    You are welcome to do whatever you want with it (at your own risk :) )
    I will be updating my latest firmware there at all time.

#517 TomerO, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Thank you very much @TomerO it is much appreciated. Are you using auto-level or MESH leveling?
    One of the developers is working on a Unified bed leveling which will contain more automation, SHe is going to be adding here experimental code after 1.1.0 turns gold.

To everyone:
    Once we have a gold build, would it be beneficial to start a new thread on 1.1.1 or whatever they decide to call the next version, or should I just rename this thread (like I did the last time) and continue to post here?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. TomerO

TomerO Member

@WheresWaldo I'm using the MESH build since it seems to work much better

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

New thread would be better. Going forward lets target the threads to a release.

Geof and TomerO like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.