1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Mike Kelly's RoBo3D Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Jun 21, 2014.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

@Mike Kelly and @Printed Solid , thank you for the discount offer. I pulled the trigger on this mod. Has been on my list for some time now and really appreciate both of you for supplying this to the community.

@Lee, nice design. Always appreciate a design that doesn't require drilling. Any easy way when using the hinges to keep the enclosure up when working on it? Maybe a slide on clip once flipped up?

2. Lee

Lee Member

Hi,
    The way the hinges are right now, you lift the cover up slightly and it comes off the part that is mounted on the case. I did that mainly because I was concerned that a lift cover would be too easy to bump into and break. The only way I can see that working would be if you mounted the hinges on the top
    Glad you like it. The current design is that you lift it slightly and remove it from the mate on the case. I went with this because I knew I would hit it and break it if it were lifted up. If I were going to make it a flip up, this is how I would do it. I would make a C shaped bracket that has set screws. It would secure to the top of the Robo3d case opening. It would then have a piano hinge (or 2 small regular hinges) mounted on the outside of it. Then I would cut away a small strip of the plexiglass top. The other half of the piano hinge would mount to the outside top of the plexiglass. When the cover is lifted up, it could be held by a couple of magnets (one on the case and one on the plexiglass) or a foldable arm on the side. the drawing below should give you a rough idea. the pivot point of the hinge would be even with the plexiglass

Attached Files:

3. danzca6

Thanks @Lee. I was wondering how the hinge you designed worked and didn't know if it would flip open or just pull up and off. Thanks for the explanation. I normally have to put my hand in to pick off a bed booger or two the way autolevel is working now. Hopefully when I finally finish configuring my IR I won't have to do anything but click print and go. It would be nice to have a door on the front in case I ever wanted to do a switch filament during a print or pause the print to add items like a nut or item to embed into the print. That doesn't happen often and could just run without the front enclosure if needed. Can't wait to get this installed to see how well it works. I'm sure it will be great. @Mike Kelly does a great job in his designs. I may have to change the face plate on my machine to say Robo 3D MK+ before long. LOL!

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. Lee

Lee Member

Once installed, you move the enclosure up slightly and off the case hinge. As the enclosure moves up it cannot move up very far before it hits the bottom of the bed.So, you need to play with how high up the case you mount the hinge. Since it is just using set screws, you can easily move it up and down until you get the enclosure to come off without striking the bottom of the bed. Don't tighten the set screws too much or it will start to bend the hinge where it goes around the case. I should have made it a little thicker. I think I will update the drawing later today.

#84 Lee, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is my work on a non-invasive mount, thanks to @Stephen Capistron for the idea.

[​IMG]

Now that I finally have an enclosure and it's cold out I'm starting to work on it. I still have some concerns about the strength requirements, but we'll see once it's installed

6. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

ghat is genius. So minimalistic yet awesome.

7. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Well I took advantage of the sale and bought the enclosure! Will probably add some noise insulating foam to the outside of it to keep it quiet at night.

8. danzca6

I heard it reduces the noise a bit already. May not need the insulating foam. There are other methods for making it quiet as well if you want to try them first. There are some threads about it. You and I might have been the only ones to snag that deal yesterday. It was a good one. Can't wait for it to come in.

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  9. crazyshakespeare

Expecting my R1 plus(first 3d printer) tomorrow, so I thought I'd look around the forum. I'm really intrigued by this enclosure, but was wondering if there is a reason you couldn't enclose the whole printer and not just the print area...leaving slots for ventilation?

10. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

You want to keep the electronics cool.

Mike Kelly and crazyshakespeare like this.
  11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Precisely. Every +10C an electronics runs at will cut its lifespan in half. Running cooler is always better.

12. crazyshakespeare

Thanks guys...i figured that was the reason but wasn't 100% Looking forward to learning the in and outs of 3D printing/ robo r1 plus and hope to be contributing soon!

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  13. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Yeah thats true. I missed the sale but I emailed them asking if they had any coupons and they gave me a coupon to take $20 off. I have never had a company do that when asked on the first try. I will definitely order the E3D V6 from them when the time comes to upgrade. Exceptional customer service. I don't think I have seen any threads about making the R1 quiet. I did buy 2 packs of 4 nema 17 stepper motor corks that I will be installing along with the enclosure though. Every motor will get a cork lol

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

15. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

16. danzca6

Matt takes great care of his customers. Always my goto place for parts.

17. danzca6

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

As @danzca6 mentions, dump all the fans and look for replacements that have sleeve bearings. Nearly all ball-bearing fans are noisy.

19. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Nice, I read that about an hour ago and it did have useful information. I already replaced the ramp cooling fan with a Noctua awhile ago. My next mod besides the enclosure is to replace the PSU or the PSU fan and see if the Nema 17 cork stepper gaskets will aid in noise reduction. I have been looking at the new lead screw upgrades but am not sure of the $100 price tag if they are worth it. I was wondering if replacing the linear ball bearings on the carriage would help with noise because most of the noise is from the extruder motor and the horizontal ribbon for the x-axis movement. I did oil up the Y rods but it did not seem to help much if any. I have the Robo R1(2nd Gen). I remember buying it and then the next day the new 3rd gen was released...I was pissed to say the least lol

20. danzca6