1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Taulman nylon 'Bridge'

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Printed Solid, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

:mad:Arrrrrgh! ....Taulman Bridge 1.75mm feels like it's not going into the bore of the extruder, feels like a very tight fit.
    Bridge actually measures 1.86mm and my PLA filament measures 1.74mm, the PLA goes right in, no problem.
    Anyone else encountered this problem?

Here it is under the microscope:
    [​IMG]

#41 Technidyne, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I believe the first released batch tended to run pretty high. It doesn't help that the bore on the hex is a little on the small side. I believe @1d1 or @mark tomlinson did something with drilling out the hot end a bit.
    You could also send it back for a replacement. Pretty sure that is out of spec.

3. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

It was bought from Matter Hackers Inc through Amazon. I just emailed them my findings in the hope we can figure out a resolution. Shipping it back from my Caribbean location is going to cost a whole lot more than the product itself.

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

It's summer time, so we can let that one slide, but don't expect any sympathy for your shipping cost when the weather starts cooling down!
    If you don't get anywhere with matterhackers, you can contact taulman directly.

5. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Good point, I copied Taulman the information also. Really disappointed it did not work out first shot, as I have some really cool stuff I want to prototype in nylon.

6. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Now, that's service!:D
    Just got a reply from Tom at Taulman:
    "Hi Cletus...Tom here... We do get spools on occasion that can be out of spec. MH is an excellent reseller of our materials and we stand behind our lines.
    Please send me your shipping address and I'll get you a spool that meet's your needs.
    Thanks for alerting us as we forward all out of spec issues to our extrusion operators.
    Tom"

4 people like this.
  7. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Good news / bad news:
    Ok, Tom and Taulman really came through and readily replaced my out of spec roll of "Bridge" without any issues. Heck, they even sent two additional rolls free of charge. The rolls arrived well packed and in sealed poly bags with the usual silica-gel desiccant bags inside.
    The new filament fits into the Hexagon extruder just fine and I tried a simple print with hotend at 250, 255, 260*C and a bed temp of 75*C
    In all cases the first few layers are encouraging and print just fine with good adhesion to the glue-stick substrate, then the extrusion stops. Looking at the filament at the hobb, it is all kinked right after the hobb.
    I note during extrusion, I see what appears to be tiny puffs of steam at the nozzle/part interface, this I assume to be trapped moisture in the filament.
    Clearing the jam, raising the printhead and heating the hotend to 255*C, I manually extrude some material, again noting the occasional puffs of steam at the nozzle. Removing some of the cooled extrusion and examining the "thread" under the microscope, one can see tiny gas bubbles in the extrudate.
    Not sure what steps to take next and all suggestions welcome.
    Here's a look at the "Bridge" extrudate from the Hexagon hotend, under the microscope:
    [​IMG]

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have had no problems (well, no major problems) with the bridge nylon and I live in the humidity capitol (Florida).
    I do keep it in a bag with some dessicant, but still... That is extreme.

9. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Yeah, I think so too!
    Will send Tom the above report and see what he suggests.
    The little that prints is really impressive strength-wise and I would really like to get proficient at working with this material.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did the new one come at the correct dimensions? Mine measures 1.86ish but that's ok with me since I have a 2mm ID

11. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

The dimensions of the new filament is fine, and gets into the extruder just fine.
    It starts to extrude really well, prints the first layers fine then nothing. Inspecting, one finds the filament is all bunched-up between the hobb and the entry to the extruder.
    Hoping to have some time this weekend to experiment some more with settings and temps.

12. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

With all the CNC Machining and 3D printing capability in the shop now, I got some lingering industrial, biomedical and R/C projects I want to bring to the front burner.
    I have very high hopes for printing with Bridge Nylon so I am willing to put in considerable time experimenting to get it working right.
    Got some business travel over the next month, but once that's out of the way, I am excited to try a few of the exotics also:
    Woodfill, Bronzefill, CarbonFiber, Colorfab XT and such, so Matt will be getting a few calls from me.

13. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Spent a lot of time this weekend playing with settings trying to get an acceptable result with Taulman Bridge Nylon, temps from 240 through 275, different speeds, etc.
    Unfortunately the result is consistently the same, buckling just after the hobb.
    With the Z-axis off the bed/part I seem to be able to extrude nylon just fine from around 450*C on up. When I'm putting down layers on the bed /part however, that's where the problem seems to start, I think it's backpressure. :

[​IMG]

#53 Technidyne, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  14. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Looks like heat creep to me and hotter temps will only make this worse. Your heat sink fan must be on at all times. I've found 245 perfect for my setup, but if your thermistor is a bit off, you might need it a bit colder even. I also use a .6 nozzle generally though I have used Bridge successfully with a .4. Finally, large layers. With the .6 nozzle I print at .45 layers over glue stick for adhesion. Just thinking it makes sense to not let the filament linger in a hot machine, too. Once you get loaded up, print away. Maybe...
    Heat sink fan would still be my first guess.
    Good luck!

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Likewise. We preferred the larger nozzle (0.6) slow movement (25-30 mm/s) and thicker layers -- double normal (general rule of thumb: layer height should be no more than 80% of nozzle diameter for RepRap style printers).

16. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Thanks guys, tried all that except for the .6 nozzle. Not sure that I want to be changing nozzles back and forth either. Will try the nozzle thing, if it works well for me, maybe I can consider a second machine in the shop setup for nylon.

#56 Technidyne, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can print it with 0.4, but the 0.6 gave much better results.
    If you use the 0.4 just don't go above 0.3 mm for the layer height.
    The real key is slow and hot for this stuff. 'Thick' helps too. :)

18. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Where can I buy a 0.6 nozzle for the Hexagon hotend?
    Any special procedure to change it out ...looks like it's just screw-in
    Is it recommended to be repeatedly changing the nozzles on this hotend, or will it wear-out prematurely?

19. Printed Solid

Staff Member

RRD only makes 0.3, 0.4, and 0.5 nozzles. I carry the 0.3 and 0.5. If you want a different size, you can just drill it out.
    For changing, you simply heat the hot end up to filament melting temp, hold on to the heater block with a wrench, and unscrew the nozzle with a second wrench. I do this at least a few times a week. Takes 2-3 minutes.

20. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

How do I find the firmware to change the temp? I am sure it is simple, I just do not know where to look or if I need something else to modify the existing code.