1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

@Mike, so, with a different wiring of the switches (serial instead of parallel), will it work with the default auto-leveling firmware, or do you need to modify the firmware as well?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If they're smart the firmware will be universal for all printers, and the auto-level will require an eeprom mod to enable the reverse switch logic on their printers.

Otherwise I'll be releasing the firmware with the switch logic in the traditional manner, with whatever other changes they use.

The autoleveling stuff is already in your firmware if you're on a recent one (I think feb). You can send G29 but it won't really do any good because of the fixed z stop. They just specify the probe positions.

There's a call like "Invert switch logic" and they set it to true instead of false.

3. Datum

Datum New Member

4. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Hi guys and girls. That wasn't a public URL. Just because someone managed to pull the link from a google crawl doesn't automatically mean it can be used to acquire mods.
    As I was specifically asked by jerry not to share that link I didn't.

I strongly suggest sending jerry a polite email with request if a URL is found instead of blindly ordering.

Jerry is doing a great job with the customer support and we all need to remember that it's just him running the customer side of things.... He's a busy lad and he will respond if you are polite, sensible and respectful.

I have come to learn of late that this guy is under huge pressure and he gets big ups from me for the job he's doing.

So to sum up, quit with the "look at the URL I found, let's buy it", start being nicer to jerry and........ Smile :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. splk3

splk3 New Member

I asked Jerry and he sent me the link last week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

6. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

I did not Google it, I went to the site and looked under replacement parts and it was there.
    So please do not "assume" it was some sort of black magic google search.

I also said nothing about buying it. I just noted that the details of the kit were two switches and some wire for people who wanted to roll their own.

How about let's just ignore the whole kumbayah and kisses for Jerry and move on with gathering the details for the upgrades and mods that we have been working on?

2 people like this.
  7. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I know this is probably a silly question but I couldn't find my answer in this thread. The Y axis smooth rods are 12mm aren't they? Also, what length do the rods need to be and what bearings are required?

8. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

I have to back warlock on this one, I was casually checking the Robo website as I do every few days to see if there were any updates, as they kept hinting "it will be ready soon" for a while there. Checked a couple days ago and there it was. Straight from their page.
    I was like sweet, there it is, and ordered it.
    Now I see this post with the secrecy and dead link and I'm like ,whoops, my bad.
    It WAS listed on their site though.
    If they aren't ready I'm not going to bug them about it and can wait. But I don't think I need to feel I did anything wrong, as it was listed normaly.

2 people like this.
  9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

8mm, LM8UU, 14"

10. Galaxius

Thanks Mike. I've seen other people/printers use 12mm. Is there any benefit going thicker. I can see the additional weight would be a drawback.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

On a moving axis you don't want heavy rails like that. Too much inertia.

I generally see 10mm and 12mm smooth rods for Y axis, like on the printrbot plus. Since it's non moving you can have a larger diameter to support more weight.

4 people like this.
  12. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

This isn't a slam to Jerry but a general customer service comment. Jerry is doing a great job; however, the folks at Robo3D have to recognized that they need to provide various ways to access upgrades, replacement parts. People don't just want to search and search. Everyone is busy, including the customer.

To be honest, I couldn't find the link so I did a site search too.

My feelings are if if someone at a business is overloaded, the business should change the situation, not the customer. In fact, the business should anticipate potential customer service situations and included them in their general operating practices.

(I guess I must have my logic hat on today...)

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

At this point I will be ecstatic just to see the upgrade kit.

4 people like this.
  14. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

15. bret4

bret4 New Member

They seem to be doing a great job at sales but if you want repeat customers you have to be great at service too. Personally I would not be going to shows to drum up more sales if I had more than I could handle. I'd put more into quality control to lower the time needed on support problems.

16. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

I understand what you're saying; however, they're doing great for a young team and startup. If you think about what Robo3D has accomplished in a short period of time, it's nothing short of incredible. Funding helps - but the community support model works pretty well too- with some exceptions. In terms of satisfying existing customers v. new sales, it's always a tough one. It's been my experience that it has always been a dynamic question with many dynamic answers.

In terms of sales, my take is that there are so many new entrants in this market that you have to beat the sales and product development drums or turn into dust. In terms of support, new customer leads are pretty savvy and they'll decide, based on what they see in terms of community feedback whether or not they make an affirmative product decision. As existing users, we'll see it in terms of new product features (that are available), the number of new people in the forums, etc.

17. bret4

bret4 New Member

Great response!

18. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

So my kit arrived today. All looks very well put together. Now I need to hunt for install instructions :)

2 people like this.
  19. Galaxius

Can you post a couple photos of your install process and final result please?

20. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Will do, be warned..... I'm not the best at this sorta thing and since I can't find any install instructions it's gonna be a poke and guess process :)

2 people like this.