1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. huskerfreak

huskerfreak New Member

well that's weird as I was told in my email I would be part of the first shipment. so have they shipped all the first shipment

2. cosber

cosber Active Member

I know I was in the 1st group and I haven't heard squat.

3. splk3

splk3 New Member

Same here

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

4. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

They have stated that they would be doing an initial run of 50 kits as a first go around.
    They received inquiries to a little over that, but a large handful of queries were only for partial kits which wouldn't be addressed in this order (according to an email from Jerry).

As far as I have been told through emails is that the kits arrived about a week or so ago along with their new printer shipments. From the sounds of it, they are hard at work trying to catch up on the printer backlog and getting them out.
    I can see where that would be a priority for them.

Jerry also mentioned they had to sort the parts into proper kits and QC them. So that may take a little time as well.

In any event, I am as anxious as the next person to get my parts to do my updates. I have been holding off doing many things on my printer just for this particular kit to arrive first so I am doubly anxious.
    I am quite positive my parts will arrive sometime in the next couple of weeks or so, I know the Robo guys are working hard.

In the meantime, it's Spring and I just dusted off my fishing tackle. A little fresh air and fishing is good for the brain and much more relaxing than sitting around fretting needlessly over a parts kit that will eventually arrive. ;)

3 people like this.
  5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The first kits were 'beta' testers we'll call them.

I asked jerry and he said the auto calibration isn't included unfortunately.

6. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Savior2064 has posted some pics of his new Robo with the smooth rod Y axis and auto Z height calibration on the following thread. My aim is to print the parts to upgrade the kickstarter version as the shipping to Australia is a killer. First need to install my Hexagon hotend though. Thanks for the advice for these upgrades Mike, it's greatly appreciated.

7. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Too bad the kit doesn't have the auto-leveling parts. Are there known good detailed pictures of the setup? I'm not very clear on how the couplings supposed to work...

8. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Jerry said they would post information on the auto-leveling setup. He said there wasn't much to print, mostly the two switches and nuts. But he gave no estimate on posting it.
    Mike, if you could do us a favor and press them a little bit on posting this info, that would be awesome. I would rather do all of the upgrades at once than having to break it down again later. I have already ordered the switches, needed some for other stuff anyways.

2 people like this.
  9. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Everyone,

Auto level will not be included in the y axis upgrade kits. Auto level didn't actually exist when we first took orders on the y axis upgrade kits.

I'm working late trying to get all the kits together. I should have most of it done this week but then next week I have to fly to Chicago for two days. That really puts a damper in my ability to get them shipped. I'll be working on it the following weekend. I'll do my best to complete as many as I can by next week.

I'm very sorry for the delay. It's a one man project unfortunately.

8 people like this.
  10. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Thanks for the update jerry. I have sent you an email asking about the possibility of purchasing auto leveling mod hardware or at least information on required hardware and install instructions for those if us that have purchased the motion system already.
    This post is just to let others in this thread know..... I will post any response I get from jerry. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. splk3

splk3 New Member

Awesome. Would like to upgrade my kit as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

12. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

Jerry,

This is the information I think everyone needed. If you want to grab a whiskey while in chicago, let me know!

13. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

I got a speedy response from jerry. He has let me purchase the mod for auto leveling ..... But asked I didn't share the link.

I would suggest sending him an email, not demanding etc as he is a very busy man, and he should be able to help you out as well.

Just remember to be nice :)

2 people like this.
  14. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Rick, are you able to say how much the kit was?

15. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

$10 plus shipping, they are going to put in same shipment as my plate upgrade so free shipping.

2 people like this.
  16. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

2 people like this.
  17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Instructions are for the weak :)

I still don't like that they use the NC leg of the switch and run them in parallel. I strongly advice using the NO switch and running them in series. No need to change the switch logic, has failure protection, and just as easy to wire.

18. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Care to dumb that down for those of us that work in bars for a living? lol, I understand about running them in parallel but have never messed with these switches before and my logic failure protection went out the window around my 21'st birthday.

4 people like this.
  19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sure here you go.

Switch logic.png

Essentially you have a double redundant circuit with a single failure point (if it comes unplugged). Should the switch come unplugged it'll see OPEN and not care. The axis will continue to move down until the couplings come unseated which will then spin pulling the wire in circles. Granted this scenario is unlikely, but the potential is there and a good design should always offer failure protection IMO.

With a normally closed logic using switches in series the switches are activated under normal conditions. Using the NO leg of the switch you have a closed circuit. If a cable breaks or comes unplugged you won't have a failure mode because of failure protection.

BTW I have a auto-level arm and if you want it let me know, I'll share it with you. I'm also available to answer what questions you have but it's really quite straight forward.

5 people like this.
  20. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Awesome. Yeah the picture clears it up for sure. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out.

I lernt sumptin' t'day.