1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. nak1017

nak1017 New Member

Bump for the shipping ETA?

2. Madgrayhatt3r

Madgrayhatt3r New Member

Yeah, I have asked twice since ordering two weeks ago and have heard nothing...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They're waiting on the clip connectors. Might be another week or 2

2 people like this.
  4. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Thanks for the update mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. bret4

bret4 New Member

So how about sharing the stl files for the new bed parts?

2 people like this.
  6. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Yep, releasing STLs and the BOM would be very helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

I know last time I spoke to Jerry the team was very busy getting everything put together for the new beds plus soon to receive a new shipment of printers (most likely all of which had to be sent out asap). Give them some time guys, there are others on the forum who have come up with their own y-axis linear mods who have posted files.

8. bret4

bret4 New Member

I'm sure there busy but posting stl's doesn't take long.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The biggest thing they're struggling to figure out is how to get people the new middle plate. It has some major revisions to it and you'd need something with precision, like a mill, to drill it out.

Without the middle plate getting this mod running is very challenging.

I'll give them a few more weeks to figure out how to deal with the middle plate issue, then they'll launch the STL files.

3 people like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would presume they would send them pre-modified/built. Are you suggesting they are custom enough that the plate needs to match the printer?

11. Denys Dmytriyenko

That won't work for people with existing plates who just want the STL to print the mods...

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ah, that makes more sense. I was referring to the kits they are getting ready.
    Yea, if it roll your own I can see where that would get complicated.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Kits include the new middle plate. As Denys suggested it's solving the custom made problem. There's talks about having a private link for users who want to upgrade with printed parts.

I have some qualms with their design that I want to redesign to be better for printing. If they drag their feet much longer I'll publish my own version.

4 people like this.
  14. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Yes please Mike. A linear rail upgrade is something I'm considering after i upgrade my hobbed bolt and install a Hexagon hotend to hopefully address the printing issues I'm still having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. bret4

bret4 New Member

I'd love to have the files for the upgrade. I have mills that I can mod the middle plate on. I may start drawing up my own design this weekend if I do not see any files. I want to keep it close to what robo has made. Got rods and bearings coming tomorrow from McMaster Carr.

16. Denys Dmytriyenko

Galaxius, what's wrong with your hobbed bolt and what kind of printing issues are you having? Can you please point me to the thread where this is being discussed? Thanks.

17. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I've been having issues with filament feed slippage after say 30+ minutes after cleaning the hobbed bolt. It may be sure to being to aggressive with print and retraction speeds. I've ordered a new hobbed bolt from James, ebay name jaisol0, as suggested on another thread here, "hobbed bolt" I think. Regarding the hotend I'm having a temp drop issue once extrusion starts (not much) and a much worse temp drop (catastrophic) when the cooling fan starts. After reading about issues with the stock hotend and higher reliability of all metal hotends I decided to get the new Hexagon Hotend by reprapdiscount as other robo3d users are reporting it's as good or better than the E3D as well as cheaper. I'll be testing this and giving feedback on the Hexagon Hotend thread and will hopefully be able to contribute a cooling fan shroud for the coldend. I'll also be redesigning my fan duct for the reduced height of the hexagon hotend which will also result in it fitting better for the stock hotend. Anyway, that's a bit off topic for this thread but that's where I'm at. I'll try find the thread's for you.

18. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Couple of questions:

1, Mike can you please clarify the plate issue. It may just be my reading of it, but im reading your comment as we are going to need to mill a plate ourselves etc. I was under the impression we would need to do some electrical work, disassemble and reassemble.... im really hoping there isn't any milling required...... or too much more that electrical work as i don't have the hardware to do that.

2, I can understand that the Robo guys are busy, what i dont understand is how it seems too hard to send a bulk email to those they have taken money from for a product. The printer itself was a kickstarter project and i can understand that there are delays in delivery and communication etc. The modifications in discussion here is a retail product and has been paid for.... In a retail situation you keep the customer updated if there is a delay, you let the customer know you appreciate the fact that they are waiting for the product they have paid for and you let the customer know you are sorry for the delay.

Having heard nothing from Robo3d since accepting payment for my upgrade is starting to annoy me. Customer service is just as important as the product. If you have a great product and terrible customer service you will not get repeat customers... and we all know that people that have been mistreated will get on the message boards and tell anyone that will listen how crap the service was.

Come on Robo3d, step up, we believe in you, we want to support you, but we also want the respect due to customers.

19. bret4

bret4 New Member

Looking at the pictures I'd say the main issue with the plate is that it has a slot for the bed wires in it. It must also have holes in it to mount the bearing blocks. Not sure if the robo3d white plastic case needs any mods. If we were to use our old heated bed the wires to it would need to be modded too. Also magnets would need to be glued to the bed in the right place.

This is why they are making a complete kit with the glass bed and bottom plate included. I could mod everything myself but most people are not able to do it as accurately as it needs to be done at home.