1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

A modder's guide, parts list, and STL collection would be nice for those who backed Robo3D via kickstarter. I thought something like that was part of the kickstarter pledger's deal since we helped get the company off the ground. Anyway, I'm very thankful for the forum community and those who donate their time, ideas, and mods freely. I'm looking forward to releasing a fan duct design for the hexagon in the coming weeks and hope it has as good or better performance than my current design, which fits E3D and just fits the stock hotend with some massage.

2 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1. As others have said the middle plate is only a concern if you are printing your own Y axis. The purchased version includes a new middle plate for you to swap in.

The new middle plate has a few main variations. Wire slot, pillow block holes, and a new y switch location. As I mentioned you really want something precise like a mill to get these holes exactly aligned.

2. I definitely feel you on that one. Though I wouldn't say I feel owed anything but rather a breach of trust in an inferred agreement to exchange and share information. I know it's hard to appreciate from an outside perspective, but they're a startup with limited resources. They're trying to develop a sustainable future, and with that comes growing pains. One major growing pain is the lack of funding to hire a customer service rep. They have Jerry but he wears many more hats than just handling customers. so he can get a day or 2 behind on emails easily. That's not even accounting for order status requests.

It's not a good answer but it's the nature of the beast. As they continue to grow so should their ability to deal with customer service. Unfortunately at this point they're choosing to not have a dedicated service person, and it's definitely hurting.

2 people like this.
  3. Al Booth

Al Booth New Member

I ordered the upgrade as a retail product on April 14. This is not a Kickstarter item so I believe that this quote from ConsumerReports.Org applies:
    "The law

The federal Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Trade Regulation Rule requires stores to ship telephone, mail, fax, and Internet orders within 30 days. If the merchant promises an earlier shipment date, it must meet that deadline. If the retailer has a reasonable basis for not getting your order out on time, it must obtain your consent to the delay. And if you don't respond or consent, the merchant must issue a refund. Merchants have more time—50 days instead of 30—to make the shipment if you're also applying for credit."

So at the very least I expect an accurate ship date within 30 days and an option for a refund.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You should probably just email them asking for a refund if you're not used to buying pre-orders from companies.

5. bret4

bret4 New Member

4 people like this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's a private link. Only way you could have gotten that is from the mailing list for pre-orders.

7. bret4

bret4 New Member

No, I did a google search and saw a picture of the bed and clicked it. That took me to the order page. I thought it was strange when I just looked around their web store and could not get into that page from there. It really was not hard to search google pictures for robo3d bed and find that link. Not really private enough I guess.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Google probably tracked you there and used that information to show you the image. When I search for robo 3d bed I don't see those pictures anywhere

9. Al Booth

Al Booth New Member

The mailing list for pre-orders is not the only way to get that link. On April 11 I sent an e-mail to robo3dhelp. On April 14 Jerry sent me that link. There was no mention of it being a pre-order. I ordered the kit that same day.

Please realize that I am not complaining and I do not want a refund. But I would like an update on when I might receive the kit.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If they could tell you they probably would. They're only 5-7 guys and 1 of them is in China. Jerry has been working his butt off trying to get them out and the pre-orders are just now getting shipped. Assuming he can improve his rate at getting these out I could see them being fulfilled in 2 weeks. He's really trying to make this happen, while managing his customer service, technical support, and engineering roles.

I can only bug him so much about it, and I'm doing my best to have the voices of everyone heard. Though they and I respond better to respect than jabs.

2 people like this.
  11. Al Booth

Al Booth New Member

Your 2 week guesstimate is good enough for now. Thanks.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Remember that's a guess not a guarantee.

13. Al Booth

Al Booth New Member

If I don't hear anything in 2 or 3 weeks, I might ask for a new guess.

14. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Quick question - does this Y axis linear motion kit include new endstops+coupling for bed autoleveling/compensation? Or is that a separate kit?

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It'll include the parts for auto leveling

4 people like this.
  16. Mastermind1776

Mastermind1776 New Member

I just purchased the kit through the link that bret4 provided. I was also able to do a google search for "Robo 3d replacement parts" and the page that shows the kit is the first link. I even repeated the search using different browsers in anonymous/incognito mode and was able to find the same link. I will keep you guys up to date with what happens.

3 people like this.
  17. huskerfreak

huskerfreak New Member

I hope they get shipped in the order they were received. I ordered my shortly after seeing the upgrade at CES in January. Here it is the middle of May and was receiving the kit shipment from China first of April that was delayed now the middle of May. All we need is an update status let us know what is going on and original orders don't get over looked.

I worked in the radio control car industry where all our cars are made in China and know how the process works. One thing that looks like the Robo guys are always behind is they keep changing there product on every order. This slows production down tremendously. Improvements are great but such a small company as this one and working with China really slows things down and gets them in these issues where customer service lacks. Long delays happen. With delays like this you sometimes have to eat a lot of profit and have product air shipped to make sure you keep your customers happy. The company that I work have had to do this on several occasion cause at the end of the day people are not going to sit and wait they will go down the street and buy something that is instock

2 people like this.
  18. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Mike,
    Where did you hear that the auto leveling parts will be included?
    Last time I asked Jerry he indicated that they would not be included.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I assumed as much based on the kits that have been sent out already. I'll verify with jerry.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I assumed as much based on the kits that have been sent out already. I'll verify with jerry.