1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

any update Jerry?

2. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

They got back to me in an email with other info I emailed them on.
    Should be included with printers on the next run.

3. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Can we please get an update on this? I have stopped modifications until I receive the replacement bed.... This does mean I'm limited to basic prints because the current bed is "unfriendly" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Yeah, is this going ahead? If not can we please get the files put up on thingiverse?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm still waiting on a drill hole schematic for modifying the middle plate.

6. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Thought you already had the files from this? Or an I confusing you wiht someone else?

I've previously requested the middle plate STL be updated with the drill pattern for this so I can get a new one machined too.

7. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I finished doing the 8mm update for the Y axis using the parts designed by Leon. Thingiverse 211965:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:211965

Works great! My "hump" in the center of my bed on the left from the Y axis belt tension is now GONE! I updated to an E3D Hotend at the same time, so took a while to get everything on and sorted... printing my second part now with the updates. I swapped over to bang-bang in the firmware and added a relay for the heated bed at the same time.

jason_arnold likes this.
  8. SparkyInCali

SparkyInCali New Member

I am definitely interested in the bed upgrade.I got a pla only model from someone that did the kickstarter that is the pla only model.I would love to have the option to print on heated glass for pla and have the option to print in ABS as well.The sd card option would be nice as well but not as neccesary since my comp is almost always on anyways.

9. Michael DiFilippo

In an email from Jerry it looks like it will be a few weeks until the parts come in. I wouldn't count on this upgrade just yet guys. Remember the original Robo wasn't designed for this sort of upgrade so chances are it has taken them a bit of reverse engineering to figure it all out which can make any modification seem simple and a "no brainer" but in reality can cause some issues and be quite tough. Hopefully Jerry will be back in here soon and update everyone.

10. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

It's Robo 3D, guys. Mid-March means around October. ;)

2 people like this.
  11. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

When I talked to Jerry about a week ago he said that the first run of upgraded beds had all been spoken for, so I was put on the second run. He said the first run was due in April 20, and the second run a month after that. He also said that it is not an easy upgrade at all.

12. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Oh yay, i dont like the sounds of "Not easy upgrade" im in the first batch of people to get the upgraded bed....let see how long it takes me to smash my glass or break a part :(

13. SoLongSidekick

I believe the words he used were "it's not a light install". But I can't imagine it being that tough.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

From what I see you need to remove everything off your middle plate in order to drill the new hole pattern. That's pretty big in my book.

15. SoLongSidekick

Drill through the glass?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

No the middle plate as in what the stepper motors connect to for the Z and Y axis. It's made of acrylic.

17. SoLongSidekick

I would assume (probably in error) that if we are being charged $100 for this mod it would come with a new middle plate.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well even if they include it you still have the strip down the printer almost completely in order to install the new middle plate

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree with Mike on this one, having done it once (tearing apart the printer, removing the plate, etc.) it is a pain and non-trivial (new plate or not).

Still, looking forward to trying it simply because the end result is worth it.

20. Michael DiFilippo

The upgrade with new plate would with out a doubt cost more than $100. You are talking rod, bearings, the bed mount and the blocks to attach to the plate. But would still take quite a bit of work as Mike and Mark both said. If it was easy they would have had the upgrade a long time ago but I am sure they wanted to do as much r&d as they could to find the best solution possible.