1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Drew Eby

Drew Eby Member

Unfortunately no. It is good news though in that we will be on top of orders by that point. Meaning we will have no lead time and be able to ship out next day.

2. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Nope. But it IS the new and improved R1!

3. BrandonG

BrandonG New Member

Uggh. Waiting for the R2 is killing me.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Don't hold your breathe

2 people like this.
  5. Brian-UK

Brian-UK New Member

I already have a screen and heated glass bed but the rails would be interesting.

Brian

6. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Jerry, As I just got my printer Friday, I am also interested in this kit and missed out on the first order. When will you accepting another batch of orders? I guess I should have waited a couple weeks more to order my printer. :(

7. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Question:
    How would this improve the printer or the print ?
    I dont see how would this make the bed more flat.
    I dont see how would tension of the belt not make the bed to warp when moved all the way back or all the way forth as it does right now.
    The surface area on which entire thing is pivoted is not more but less then current setup has.
    Current setup has rail attached to the base with much more contact area then this new setup. More contact area=more stability.

On the side note:
    Where can i donwload STL's or what ever source files you have for linear motion upgrade ?
    Ill buy rods and bearings my self on ebay.
    Thanks.
    This is kinda cool. You can get much bigger build platform with that.
    Too bad heater is only 9x9 :(

8. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Any thoughts in using this ULTEM stuff
    The print bed is made of ULTEM. While the latest trend has been to use glass or aluminum as a rigid print bed surface, ULTEM is quite different. It’s a plastic, but it has a very high temperature melting point, far above any temperatures used by the extruders. What make it interesting is that you won’t require any special tricks to make your print stick to the bed:

http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2014/3...um=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=fabbaloo/default

or something like this
    https://3dprinterninja.com/ninja-printer-plate/
    Ninja Printer Plate

The Ninja Printer Plate was developed as a superior alternative to the print surfaces being used on consumer 3D printers. If you've spent any time using a fused filament type of machine, you understand the demands on the print surface. There must be enough adherence between the filament and build platform to prevent the print from lifting off as the material cools, yet still allow the finished print to be removed without damaging it. Also, the print surface must be very flat and, ideally, allow for heating to work with ABS or other materials. The Ninja Printer Plate meets these requirements and offers benefits beyond other surfaces in use today. Stop wasting time with tape covered glass, plain acrylic that warps, FR4 board with holes in it, or other substrates that must be prepared with glue, hairspray or other messy substances. Switch to the Ninja Printer Plate and get busy printing!

9. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

So you're saying that new upgrade will have this ninja plate or ULTEM stuff ?
    That would be awesome if that was true.
    $100 for 2 rods + 2 LMU's + print it your self brackets should be littl too much if you ask me.
    Even if parts make of pressed plastic, (would make them cost even less) still too much.

My final offer $30 and ill pay for shipping :)

10. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

I cannot wait for my new upgraded parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Considering all 3d printers have the same issue of filament sticking or not, what in this upgrade is gonna guarantee a more successful print?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It'll reduce the wiggle induced by the drawer slides.

I don't have much of any adhesion issues but I can tell the slides are causing issues

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Having gotten the other issues sorted, I still use painters tape on the bed, but for most prints I have to destroy it to remove the item. It is stuck just that firmly. Might no longer need the tape, but for now I am not messing with success.

14. da9l

da9l Member

I've used hairspray with success when printing with PLA/PHA at 60° bed temperature on the new glass bed. While the bed was heated during print the object Sat there securely. When I came to pick it up it had already popped off by itself.

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk

15. algares

algares New Member

Any news on this? I'm desperately looking for a bed upgrade! Warping is killing my prints

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What material are you using?

17. algares

algares New Member

PLA but its the bed that is warped. It has an arc higher on the sides lower on the center

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How tight is your belt? If it's too tight you can bow the boro

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Simple and cheap solution is piece of 5mm float glass bulldog clipped on the bed. Gives a flat, easy to remove and clean surface. The float glass will withstand up to around 90-95c so no problem with PLA bed temperatures.

20. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

I will be ordering the abs/pla model tomorrow and wondering if this will have upgrades or do I need to order an upgrade kit?
    Got sold on the printer by reviews and the helpful members I found on the threads here.