1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. obzelite

obzelite New Member

do you know what freight will cost to australia? like to know that before commiting

2. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Will the STL files be made available so those of us with the desire to print the parts and do the updates ourselves, and use our existing heated beds, can go that route?

3. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a great question. I believe we will be posting the STLs for the parts for people to download. I don't think we'll have time to draft up some instructions on how to put it together right away. But it's pretty straight forward. The hardest part is going to be getting the holes in the middle plate exactly where they need to be and cutting a diagonal slot in the middle plate for the bed wires to travel through. We used a router for the slot.

2 people like this.
  4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

There's also the matter of how to secure the pillow blocks to the middle plate as well as what hardware. They seem like the holes meant for M3, but it's not clear.

5. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

I actually don't know. That's a great question. We will ship it standard mail, which should be the cheapest way. Looks like $52 USD to Western Australia.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you could figure that out I'd appreciate it. I have the parts printed and all the hardware/magnets purchased. Just don't wanna pull the trigger till I know for certain how to mount the pillow blocks

7. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

Mike where did you get the STL's for printing the parts out ?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sources :cool:

2 people like this.
  9. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Mike and Jerry, I'd love to get an updated Middle Plate (pref in .ipt but .stl will work fine) with mounting holes for this mod so I can organise to get one cut.

I might even get one cut from a more rigid material than the original plastic. Maybe Aluminium with some bracing cut into the bottom side. Any thoughts?

10. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

would pla printed mounts be affected by the HBP if its at 100? wouldn't it warp/deform

11. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

The transition temp for PLA is 60-65c, so you couldn't have any PLA printed parts in contact with the heated bed, but the heating elements are rather far from the edges where the glass meets the heater. Heck even the transion temp for ABS is 105c so you would be RIGHT on the razor edge there for a 100c temp on the bed... but again, it -SHOULD- be safe so long as the part is far enough away from the heating elements. The temp falloff is REALLY fast on the glass from the heating elements as you move away. Take a IR temp sensor sometime and point it at your heated bed and take measurements every quarter inch as you move away from the edge. It don't take much distance to achieve safe temps for either material.

12. splk3

splk3 New Member

I'm in!

13. Xepol

Xepol New Member

Nice to see you finally figured out the drawer rails are *NOT* the way to go. Too bad it is after you shipped all those printers.

Still, yes, I will have to decide if I will grab the STL files and retrofit my current bed or order a set.

Are the new parts going to be injection molded if we order?

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

>These photos show the prototype printed parts. The actual parts are injection molded. <

I would say : that says it.

15. Charlie

Charlie New Member

So will all of these upgrades become stock on the r1 then during March? I am looking into purchasing the robo 3d but would rather wait until March to buy it if it will arrive at my door with all of these upgrades already.

16. Jay

Jay New Member

Hey Jerry, just wondering what timeline we're looking at before the new beds are ready for our orders?

Last I got was the email asking for interest by mid Feb, which I replied to, but nothing since. (I am trying to be patient but I'm just excited about the upgrade ;))

17. nak1017

nak1017 New Member

I'm down too, what info do you need?

18. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

Hi everyone,

I have more than enough people for our first round of parts coming. I plan on sending 50 kits out initially. We are having the parts sent over with our next large shipment of product which will be arriving the first part of April. We have to do it this way because it would be much too expensive to have these air shipped to us. I'm going to send an email out to everyone who told me they are interested to make sure I have a solid final count. I'll post that email here to. Thanks all, for your interest.

2 people like this.
  19. BrandonG

BrandonG New Member

That "next large shipment" wouldn't happen to be the R2 would it?

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Highly unlikely to No.