1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Leon, Mike, and everyone else,

Thanks for the comments. Mike is correct, there are clip-together wire connectors under the bed to help make the bed easy to remove.

The magnets are very strong! It's amazing how strong those little magnets are. We've tested this bed system extensively and have had zero movement from the bed. We've the bed magnets set in a recessed surface which eliminates that issue altogether.

We've made the bed removable for mainly two reasons: It's easy to take off to clean off hairspray, glue, and remove prints; and now we will be shipping the glass dislocated from the printer so we can wrap it in it's own protection.

The glass is now 4mm thick as apposed to 3mm. It's much more rigid!

We think the MatterControl bed leveling system is really helpful and really good technology. I can't see where I would want to change what it does.

The kapton heater is still 8.5in by 8.5in. The build volume is the same. Of course we made sure of that!

2 people like this.
  2. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

And....
    Yes these upgrade kits will be available for quit some time I reckon.

3. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

One more question, let's say I wanted to get the kit with the bed and then also have my old bed available to use. Can I get magnets/clips/whatever needed to allow the use of my original bed with the new setup?

4. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

I haven't gone and looked closely at Matter Control since it was first brought up here a few weeks ago but it had a rather fatal flaw at the time. It could only do bed level compensation for prints being performed from the PC. There were indications that they intended to do that for gcode exports but it wasn't implemented yet. I also wished that it was more than a three point calibration.

A 12 point calibration with export to gcode could make it a killer slicer. I'll definitely go take a closer look at it when I get a chance.

5. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

Here is a post showing a lot more detail about the SD card reader. Photos tell the whole story. Also attached is the STL file for the holder bracket.

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  6. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

Sign me up!

6 people like this.
  7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I'll wait until Barnacules posts his review :) .
    With the SD card reader, you connect with your computer, start the print, and then unplug?

2 people like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Matter control is nice, but it still shows it's age (as in, it is really rather beta-ish).

I use it for a number of prints that were problematic in Reptier since it allows you to use the Cura slicer and that sometimes works when Slic3r fails.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I would suggest that the Y Axis upgrade allow for or provide heat insulation under the heated bed (Eg cork or fibreglass sheet etc). This will help speed up the bed heating and minimise cooking of the Y Axis belt. Only downside is cooling may take longer.

Z

2 people like this.
  10. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Sign me up. Knowing the estimated cost would be very helpful. Without knowing a ballpark figure I can't commit 100%

11. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Rick,

First post:
    Seems like a fair deal that mostly covers cost of parts.

12. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Haha cheers warlocke I don't know how I missed that :). Count me in boys and girls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

Hi Rick, Just send me an email at robo3dhelp@gmail.com so I can get your email address and can add you to the list. Thanks!

14. Patrick Elliott

I'll sign up for the up grade. But wish you had told me you were working on it when I bought a heated bed a few weeks ago for $99.. That's money down the drain.

15. 330SC

330SC Member

I am a CNC machinist and have been up, down and all around this 3D printing market (for months) so I have a pretty good idea what I am assessing . Even though its already impressive considering the cost Robo appears to be on track to develop in to a high end machine at a low end price. Glad I chose it.

2 people like this.
  16. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

Dear Pat, please send me an email at robo3dhelp@gmail.com and we'll get you all squared away.

2 people like this.
  17. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Any chance i can get the sad card reader early? I am having a lot of problems connecting via USB now after months of great printing.
    Very frustrating.
    Thanks john

18. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

John.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think the SD card reader allows you to run without connecting over USB. You will still have to connect over USB and start the print, but then you will be able to untether and let the print finish on your own.

You'll need the LCD or something like octoprint to print without connecting over a wire.

19. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

Matt, yes that is correct. John, please email me at robo3dhelp@gmail.com for assistance with the USB connection problem.

20. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

Ok, that will about do it for our initial order for parts for the upgrade. If you have not done so already, please email me at robo3dhelp@gmail.com with subject line "Y axis upgrade" and I will add you to this list. Please email me by tomorrow. Looks like we already have over 50 interested parties! Thanks!

2 people like this.