1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Bummer. I was hoping there is a change need. I cannot gain access to the sd card reader from repeater host
    The software says it initializes ok bu cannot save g code or run g code from the sd card. With all the other problems I am having I wonder if I have a bad board. I will take this back to my troubleshooting thread.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I never tried to use it until the other day when @JayT was having issues with it.
    Simplify used it w/o trouble, but I have never tried it from Repetier, or MatterControl, or any of the other packages...

3. scotta

scotta Active Member

I never did receive a response or explanation from the Robo3d team on the delay of the upgrade. I did last week however received a shipping notification from the courier company. The goods have now been received in good condition.

At least there is satisfaction there and some closure. Now I just have to do the install (the removable glass sheet however will not be removable as it has to be hard wired in. i.e. no connector)

Given the exceptionally slow response / lack of customer service / lack of any communication what so ever, I will never, never ever, be ordering anything from Robo3d again. I have learnt my lesson the hard way. This is one customer that you have lost, and as most disgruntled customer I will be telling everyone who cares to listen not to deal with Robo3d

Even if the machine totally dies I would prefer to buy after market components or a totally new machine rather than deal with robo3d again.

4. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

This link no longer works . does anyone have instructions to wire up the heated print bed ?

Also I do not quite understand why the bed is attached by magnets, if it is hardwired without a way to release the wiring. why use the magnets for Quick release?

#444 John Rygg, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The original design was for a connector under the bed. The one they chose did not work so well and ended up melting for some people.
    The 're-do' was to simply eliminate it. You can use your own judgement to install workable connectors (Anderson Powerpoles work well, 15 amp or better).

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Damn, and not in the Wayback Machine either. I might have a printed out copy that I actually worked from.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK @John Rygg , attached is a scan of those pages. Sorry, best I can do. If someone has the source site and wants to re-host it we can talk about that.
    Fortunately I had (not one, but two) printed copies that I used to work on the upgrade with. And I found them*.

*(finding them being the really amazeballs part of this story)

Attached Files:

#447 mark tomlinson, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Thank Mark you are a wealth of information, but I must be dumb or something.. In all of the installation documents.
    it does not show how to connect the heated bead wiring to the electronics.

the directions are referenced in robos documentation but not linked ... is there a separate thread that I am missing?
    I am almost done with the upgrade .. I don't want to screw up this part :)

thanks for your help
    John

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You just want to know where to land the heated bed wires?

just the power or the power and the thermistor?

P.S. I think that doc assumed you already had a heated bed and would just reconnect it.
    I will trace the wiring you need on mine and let you know where to land it.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK @John Rygg, I attached two photos of the ramps board and (crappily) circled the points where the wires land.

Let me know if that is not clear (the t1 is the thermistor for the bed, t0 for the hotend).

ramps1.jpg ramps2.jpg

11. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Yes thank you .. you would think that would be documented somewhere... :)
    you have been a great help Mark I will hook it up this afternoon. hopefully that will be the end of my questions !

John

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Mark,
    I'm sure you know this but in that photo one of the stepper driver heat sinks is missing.

2 people like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I never had them then. What you see is what came with my Beta :)
    No heat sinks have fallen off.

However, since you mentioned it, I'll see about adding one (seems like just one is missing).

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. Thanks for pointing that out. I'd rather fix it now that deal with it later.

OK, I added one. Not quite the same, but close. I'll have to buy one that is the same (or perhaps a new stepper driver card w/heat sink--having a few spares wouldn't hurt).

Given that it has been working without it, having the one I added can likely only help :)

#454 mark tomlinson, Sep 28, 2014
  15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's his E1 stepper driver. Doubt he missed having a heatsink on it :)

4 people like this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Don't judge me :cool:

I can lust for needing it AND it now has a heat sink (more or less).
    So at least I can feel like I did something productive.

(and I am little embarrassed for not even looking at the layout to see WHICH driver that was--I just sort of assumed it was there it must be needed)

#456 mark tomlinson, Sep 28, 2014
  17. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

So how many of us initial 50 orders are still outstanding with no shipping numbers to date?

I'm feeling the same as scotta here. I would have appreciated an email at some point to at least tell me the first few that went out all failed so they are recalling etc.

What is going on with the Boro glass? Why do recalls on wiring harnesses use glass stocks up?
    I'm fed up with this teams attitude towards customers.

3 people like this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

First off, I am willing to bet (without KNOWING) that they accepted a lot more than 50 initial orders.
    That was the first list... then they re-set the list an people re-applied and then they started delivering.
    So I am positive in the second iteration that there were likely more than 50 folks who got on the list (not a problem if they are going to deliver).
    Then of course the bed malfunctions hurled a wrench into an already problematic (for them) process.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is (however) no excuse for the lack of communications.
    Not once they take your money.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's terrible they ignore their customers. But what can we do? Drives me crazy