1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Taking the R1+ ramps and rewiring to make generic Ramps Work

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Geof, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

So let’s say you get a 1.6 version board. Note that there is no longer a 4-wire connector for the power supply. So how is this connected on the new board, I.e;

1. Do you connect the two positive wires together (and the two negatives) and secure them into new connector, or;
    2. Only run one pair from the PS to the RAMPS? If so, which?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You should be able to tie them together. The reason for the other setup was more wire could carry more current as the ribbon cable isn't very large gauge wire.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, the standard 1.4 RAMPS is split with an 11 amp circuit and a 5 amp circuit. The 1.6 version is combined (but still less).
    I am not really a fan of the 1.6 boards, most are (as difficult as it may be to comprehend) even worse quality than the $10 RAMPS 1.4 boards :) Still -- if you have it, try it.

4. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

So I completed my installation of the RAMPS 1.6 and much to my dismay, the printer won't power on. When I plug the USB cable into the Mega, a blue LED momentary appears on the RAMPS, but the PS fan isn't running. I wonder if joining the 11a and 5a (red to red, black to black, of course) caused a problem. I lost my patience and just went upstairs, thinking it's time to buy another printer, sigh...

When I get home from work today, I'm going to check the AC socket fuse and then my power connections to the RAMPS board. The connectors kinda suck. I hate to give up on this printer, especially because my wife gave it to me as a gift three-ish years ago. That and I've modified the hot end/extruder and the thing was dialed in just right. It worked great until the RAMPS died.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The power supply is probably two rails (not one) so that may be the issue or ... it could be a bad RAMPS*. I really am not a fan of any of the RAMPS 1.6 boards I played with and I don't use them in any printers.

*and that is not limited to the 1.6 boards, they are all so cheap that nobody apparently does any QA on them. I have gone through as many as 3 bad (but new) boards at a time to get one that worked. See if the Arduino board is overheating with the RAMPS connected (and powered on). That is a sure sign that the RAMPS is bad.