1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The CES 2016 Robo3D R1+Plus

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by daniel871, Apr 5, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I agree with @danzca6 Don't bother with the Titan on the Robo, put it on the Monoprice instead.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah man sorry to hear the problems. I'm having my fair share, granted after tons of print hours. I do like the robo so much testimony des arching out a 2nd lol. Hope you get up and running buddy.

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I need to change the control board on the Monoprice first, as it's a Melzi board and can't really support the Titan and the PT100 v6 assembly I have that I'd like to run on a printer.

But to be fair, the R1+Plus version of the Arduino/Ramps combo can't support the PT100 either (and my trial runs soldering pins on a breadboard have basically put me in a "Well, I don't have steady enough hands to do that!" mindset).

I checked my old Rambo board that I've had sitting around to see if I could flash some firmware to it that ought to run the R1+ and a PT100 sensor and the bootloader portion of it is dead, so I'm getting fucked all over the place *except* for the actual knock-off Chinese 3d printer.

It's mind-boggling.

4. daniel871

Okay, the replacement Arduino/Ramps board I got in the mail today is dead on arrival.

Hooked everything up, turned the printer on, nothing other than the always-on fans came on.

Hooked the USB up to my PC and tried to flash the stock firmware thinking I got a blank board and boy howdy was that accurate.

Got an error code back that (after googling the code) the USB port is dead, so any further diagnostics of the board are pretty much useless.

This not having a functional printer after buying the original R1 (that one died while printing parts for the CES contest) and winning the R1+ from the CES contest is getting old @Harry & @Braydon ROBO 3D.

I have an AVR programmer on the way to try and burn the boot loader to my Rambo board later next week since I have nothing to lose on this Robo printer. After that, I'll basically give up on it.

#24 daniel871, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

6. daniel871

I've got one of these that I'd intended to use for a homemade CNC project that I may eventually use on the Robo.

Or I may still use that board on the project I wanted to do and let the Robo frames collect dust. I'm really just incredibly fatigued with trying to work around the Robo.

*Especially* since I have a knockoff i3 that has been running great out of the box while these Robo problems have been going on.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol ship them to me ;-) don't let them collect dust lol

There is a lot to getting these bad boys running lol.

That's one hell of an expensive board lol. Any advantage to them? I've never heard of them

8. daniel871

They're basically the next step below getting a Smoothieboard. The firmware controls the current that is fed to the stepper motors, lots of additional places to wire in accessories/add-ons, etc.

I got it back in 2015 for a project that had nothing to do with 3d printing that I haven't really had a chance to dig into.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds pretty sweet man, might be to much for our little robos lol

10. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

i hate to hear all this happening to you. I've had mine for two weeks and have had no issues. Especially since i use S3d. This all looks hit and miss. Production quality issues?

11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

@daniel871 shoot me an email, i'll help you out. Sorry for the problems.

12. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Man sorry for all the bad luck!

I have had bad luck with both of my robo's when they came out of the box. ( Broken parts on arrival )

Its annoying when you get broken stuff, I fixed mine without too much trouble and they work good. But it seems like their Quality control needs an update.

Granted my most recent one seems to have been damage from shipping. But my first one had a wire not connected to the power supply, and a couple other broken things that I fixed.

Geof likes this.
  13. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

Mine came wrapped in styrofoam and inside 3 boxes. Your Fed Ex must be going all Ace Ventura on it!

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

15. daniel871

I've got an email in to Ultimachine about getting the firmware set up properly on the Rambo for the Titan extruder and PT100 v6, my Prusa i3 is doing all of the printing I'm wanting to do right now and I'm generally thinking that if I can't adapt the Rambo to work on the R1+ frame that it'll go back into a storage bag and wait until I use the i3 to print a D-bot or something.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Any updates? Hope your getting along ok

17. daniel871

No response from Ultimachine regarding the Rambo board. This Robo is going in my shitpile of mostly-dead electronics to have parts harvested when/if I ever see a use for them, as I have one working knock-off chinese printer doing the things I want to do with a 3d printer and I've invested too much of my personal time and energy in this machine with no return for it to be worth messing with any more.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Pm on its way to you

19. daniel871

I've got a generic Arduino/Ramps kit as well, I just don't care to go to the trouble of setting up and calibrating the steppers and everything else on a machine that is likely to have yet another thing on it tear up shortly down the road (all I really plan to salvage are the rods since everything else on the Robo is plastic).

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol ok if your sure. If you decide to get rid of it hit me up I'll give a something for it. If you decide you want the r1+ board I've got I'll send it ur way