1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura 15.06 (15.06.02) For ROBO 3D R1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marquis Johnson, Jul 23, 2015.

1. SinfoniaSam

SinfoniaSam New Member

This thread is awesome. I look forward to playing around with 15.06 when I get home.

2. SinfoniaSam

SinfoniaSam New Member

For anyone interested in how to do this on the Mac...

All the steps are the same except for the file locations:
    1. Go to your Applications folder
    2. Right click on Cura 15.06 and select "Show Package Contents"
    3. Put the image in ~/Contents/Resources/cura/resources/images
    4. Put the .json file in ~/Contents/Resources/cura/resources/settings
    Works so far for me. I'll play around and see what it can do. I'm sure I'll be sticking with 15.04 for most prints, but nice to play around with the new software. The layout is much improved

! Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 5.23.28 PM.png

zolagg and Marquis Johnson like this.
  3. nallath

nallath New Member

I simply want to see the most awesome software and I believe that cooperation (instead of making 10 so-so solutions) is the way to go. Ultimaker sees Cura in the same way as what 3DR does; Build awesome software to support good hardware.

15.06 should be seen as a Beta IMHO. It has been re-built from the ground up and hasn't had the years of testing that the 'old' Cura has. so stability wise 15.04 is better, but it has improved a lot since the first release. The new Cura is also much easier to develop for as the documentation has been improved and its possible to make stand alone plugins. I for instance made a plugin that adds the print cost calculater back into Cura.

Additional printer support is already there. Look at the github. Several people contributed files already. But as with everything; if you want your printer to be supported fast, help us (and yourself) by doing it. Same goes for new features.

Mike Kelly and WheresWaldo like this.
  4. PeterkSharma

PeterkSharma New Member

How do I open/use plugins in the new version? I can't seem to for the life of me figure out where the option for them is. They are enabled in my preference menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. nallath

nallath New Member

A lot of plugins are on by default. Some plugins are mandatory for Cura to function (model tools, CuraBackendEngine) and can not be disabled.
    If you want to add a plugin, please have a lookt at my plugin as it functions as a example of sorts. You can find it at https://github.com/nallath/PrintCostCalculator

Mike Kelly likes this.
  6. PeterkSharma

PeterkSharma New Member

I think I speak for many of us when I say that it is amazing to have a software developer of the program everyone uses on the site. Thanks much for all the great feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. nallath

nallath New Member

Another update about the plugins; We now have a plugin that allows for post processing scripts to run. It's not tested and the interface is horrible, but it should work. This plugin should allow for the creation of post processing scripts that were available in the old cura (tweak at z, pause at height, etc)

You can find it at https://github.com/nallath/PostProcessingPlugin

*EDIT* I've added the pause at height as a script to the post processing. It should function just like the old Cura.

#27 nallath, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  8. nonmindo

nonmindo New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the 3d printing fun

I stopped over at the cura github and they have a profile generator now for creating profiles for other printers, you just fill out the stuff like you did back on the old version of cura into the generator, it will then spit out a file you just drop into resources/settings

I posted the steps and links over here in the "How To: Cura 15.04 Setup" sticky

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Marquis Johnson , I did a bit of work on your files and came up with this, please take a look and comment on it. It is far easier than your way and adds Robo 3D R1 to the 'Add Printer' menu. A couple of things still don't work but I left the files there anyway.

Here is how it works, please note I used 15.06.03:

1. In this zip there are three files robo3dr1.json, robo3dr1.obj and robo3dr1backplate.png.
    2. Install latest version of Cura, currently 15.06.03
    3. Unzip this file and place the files in the following locations:
      • robo3dr1.json in {Cura installation directory}\resources\settings
      • robo3dr1.obj in {Cura installation directory}\resources\meshes
      • robo3dr1backplate.png in {Cura installation directory}\resources\images
    4. Start Cura and select "Add Printer"

The Robo 3D R1 should now appear in the list. One thing that doesn't currently work is the backplate. Even though you can specify an exact filename, it seems to ignore the setting in the json file. There may be a prerequisite that I missed somewhere, but this was just a quick look over. It is still included just in case this works in the future. The object file is the approximate size of the glass plate on the R1, it is lowered just enough (4 mm) to make the grid visible on top of the bed. I did not try embossing or adding text to the object file itself, although that may work to include some logo.

One more thing, since I am using Marlin 1.0.3 Dev I do not use M565. Even if I wasn't, I would still use it in EEPROM so the start.gcode does not include the offset. Please check over start.gcode and end.gcode before you actually try to print something.

I tested this on two separate installations of 15.06.03.

Attached Files:

#29 WheresWaldo, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Marquis Johnson likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay, so I noticed a few things about the new Cura. It doesn't like variables or comments in the GCode. so here is a cleaner version of robo3dr1.json. It also sets the temperatures on it's own, no need for them in startup.gcode. This is bad for people using some sort of adhesion sheet since it heats up first, then executes the starting gcode. Maybe @Marquis Johnson can figure that one out. Still doesn't have Z offset, you will need to edit it and add it yourself. I also updated the file in the previous attachment.

Attached Files:

Marquis Johnson likes this.
  11. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Whoa, this makes it much easier! I'll have to download 15.06.03 and test it out.

12. nallath

nallath New Member

The profile editor was actually made by someone in the community. It surprised us (in a very positive way!) as well, it makes it a lot easier for us as well :)

Mike Kelly likes this.
  13. Sonny's Robo3D

I tried version 15.06 and it looks very nice and has a lot of options but having to send to my SD card, then remove card from Mac and then put in SD card reader to print is kinda of a hassle. Also no controls for the printer? I can't warm up extruder, move all the axis points around for cleaning. Or am I missing something? For now guess I'm sticking to 15.04

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

15.06 is more like a beta, they are changing a lot of how the software is created and it is not yet on par with 15.04.

15. nallath

nallath New Member

It has USB printing, but it's rudimentary. We're probably not going to spend time in making a nice fancy interface for it. It's not that hard to build by yourself and we would welcome patches that improve this (This would help our case, as then we can tell: "See, open source works, other people build stuff!")

Mike Kelly likes this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

17. nallath

nallath New Member

It's a beta release, so expect issues with it. I've already fixed a ton of issues. A new build will be up relatively soon (today / tomorrow)

Mike Kelly likes this.
  18. nallath

nallath New Member

Build .82 is up.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@nallath I had noticed that 15.10 was actually 15.09, is this new build 15.09.82?

20. nallath

nallath New Member

Its the beta for 15.10. Since it's released in september (9th month) the version number is 15.09. The 'real' release will be 15.10. So yeah, the new build is 15.09.82