1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Does Anyone know which order number the Robo Team is on?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by agump, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telsaR

telsaR New Member

im surprised as long as this thread is these guys haven't already done something to keep customers in the loop. I'm waiting on mine also.. but class action lawsuit isn't going to help get people's printer out the door either.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

We had a good discussion earlier and your concerns are definitely heard. I believe they recently put out an update on the status and will be putting out another one shortly.

I did not mean to offend anyone but rather letting other issue bleed into the forum. Hopefully this is understandable, chock it up to a bad day.

2 people like this.
  3. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

You don't need a class action lawsuit to cease and desist with them. If you want a refund they aren't going to hold your money. That order is in place for companies that are withholding your money.
    15 cry babies do not make a class action suit so stop throwing that term around like it is going to get you anywhere.
    You fail to realize petitioning a class action suit does not win you a case. You need real lawyers and serious bankroll to pay for a drawn out court battle normally taking a year minimum. If the 15 of you want to shell out about 50 grand each on a case that has no grounds. Please do. You only get that money back if you win and Robo has done nothing illegal so good luck with that.
    Are you here complaining about them holding your money? No. Your threatening a major court battle over waiting longer than expected. Grow up dude.

2 people like this.
  4. telsaR

telsaR New Member

Message me this facebook link..

5. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I'm order 2219 and just got an order shipped confirmation email.

6. gstercken

gstercken Member

Sorry for the late update... order #2208, my printer finally got delivered last week Monday (2014-05-19, two days ahead of the estimated DHL delivery date. :) ) I've been very busy since... 3D printing, or at least, trying to. Here's just a few first impressions, for now:
    • The packaging (I ordered the printer along with 3 extra filament reels, one black PLA, and a black and white ABS each) was very solid, no apparent shipping damage).
    • The printer casing/build itself is very sturdy, more than I had imagined. Everybody over here is thrilled by its "retro-futuristic" design, some affectionately call it the "80's sewing machine"... ;)
    • The blue sample filament now comes on a proper reel, and not just as a loose loop.
    • The RoBo 3D looks great and works great (after a lot of tweaking, modifications and learning)!
    On the downside:
    • First thing I noticed was a small, separate, black part at the bottom of the box. Turned out that the (3D-printed) SD card holder had come off, and the SD card reader itself was loosely dangling from the wires. I tried to fix it, but it doesn't firmly attach to the case - needed some glue.
    • Likewise, the bracket that holds the fan for the RAMPS board had come off. The print quality of the bracket is bad, the layers separate, and it doesn't hold strongly onto the board. While trying to fix it, I accidentally unplugged the wire connectors of the fan (they slide off very easily), and it took me some research to find out where and how to reconnect them.
    • The mains/power switch is a dummy. It looks like a rocker switch, but behaves like a momentary switch - it's always "on", pressing the "off" side has no effect at all. The only way to turn the printer on and off is to plug/unplug the power cable.
    • The heated (glass) bed: It was very solidly and separately packaged, and didn't break during shipment. However, I found some loose bits of red sealing wax in the box, and, looking at the back of the bed, it looks like the sealing wax for holding the wire connector had come off, and been fixed with some hot glue. This is still giving me headaches (the connector keeps breaking off, and needs to be glued back in place). Also, the bed was quite scratched on the back side (just a minor esthetical issue, but it shows how the bed must have been treated during assembly).
    • Cabling: This caused a lot of problems. For one, the wire tube that holds the wires for the extruder was very sloppily assembled - a bunch of wires still dangling out at the bottom. This caused the tube/wires to constantly get into the way of the X-axis stop switch. So, when homing the X-axis, instead of the soft click of the end-stop switch, I always got that ugly, loud jackhammer sound of the X-axis stepper jamming. I eventually managed to "fix" this by looping the dangling cables around one of the feeder screws.
    • Concidentally, same problem with the Y-axis: The stiff cable for the heated bed wouldn't properly slide in and out of the (very roughly cut-out) hole in the base plate. So, the cable keeps getting in the way of the Y-axis stop switch, leading to the same jackhammer sound when homing Y.
    • To cover all three dimensions, I also had problems with the Z-axis: The mounts for the end-stop/auto-leveling switches were not tightened properly, so they slipped up and down during leveling/calibration. Up to a point where the switches wouldn't engage any more at all, and the mounts would just separate from the carriage, causing them to spin around uncontrollably and pull up the cables from the bottom, to the point of ripping them off... I really missed an "emergency stop" button in MatterControl. Took me a while to figure this out (understanding how the auto-level/calibration works) and get this fixed. I'm still having bed leveling issues though, and I'll post/ask about it separately.
    Well, those were the problems with the assembly quality of the printer . To me, it looks like the RoBo 3D is actually engineered pretty well. The problems seem to be with the current assembly procedure in China.

As for the actual printing: I'll keep it short, and post more about my experiences later and in the appropriate sub-forums: In the meantime, I was able to produce a lot of scrap, many "okay" prints, and a few great ones - both with PLA and ABS. The great ones show me that the RoBo 3D really has the potential - once everything is set up and calibrated correctly, and, of course, once I slowly keep learning and getting my feet wet with the adventure of 3D printing.

2 people like this.
  7. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Thank you for a great initial write up, very honest and fair. I'm impressed you mention already having success with ABS as well. It is kind of an unwritten rule to start out with PLA for a while as it is much easier to work with. Definitely looking forward to future updates.
    Thanks for sharing.

3 people like this.
  8. gstercken

gstercken Member

Thanks, AxisLab!

I know... And I did start with PLA, of course, but, after some success, couldn't wait to try ABS. After a lot of failures (always about the bottom layer warping off the heated bed, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but it eventually, invariably happened) I finally found the Holy Grail to ABS printing (so far, for me): Brim, brim, brim! No glue stick, no hair spray... But a large enough (up to 15mm) brim around your object will really eliminate the dreaded warping of your actual object (by deferring it to the outer, thin layers of the brim). Granted, you waste some filament, and you have to peel the brim off once you're done printing... But it really helps!

9. Kadows

Kadows Member

I also had problems with my power switch, it kept springing back to "on". I asked Jerry about it and he told me to pry it out using a flat screwdriver then just pushing it back in again. Now it works!

2 people like this.
  10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

That is not wax it is a high temp silicone. Hot glue will certainly not last long. I suggest securing the bed wires with Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker or equivalent . You can get it at a local auto supply or Amazon prime.

2 people like this.
  11. gstercken

gstercken Member

Thanks, Kadows! Just tried it, and was amazed (after prying it out, and seeing that small spring and contact latch) how incredibly cheap and flimsy the mechanics of that switch are... But now it works, thanks again!

12. gstercken

gstercken Member

Thanks for the hint! I hope I can source that over here. Do I need any extra tools for applying it?

13. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Any high temp silicone should work. Just let it cure overnight. It can be messy though!

2 people like this.
  14. Mahydraal

Mahydraal New Member

Hey everyone, just dropping in from cyberspace at large to say Hi, and tell everyone that order number 2194 is very satisfied with ROBO3D's customer service, in spite of their extremely long lead time. :D Jerry has promptly responded to my inquiries several times now, and frankly is a very reasonable PR man, i realize his time is probably getting hard to come by, and personally i am quite impressed with the way he seems to be staying on top of the community relations ball....at least, from my perspective.

Apologies if anyone has had a different experience, but seeing as ROBO is still a six man team working out of what amounts to a somewhat upgraded garage, i am very impressed with their professionalism and communication promptness.

I wont labor on spouting anecdotes, but i just want everyone here to know, that ROBO3D seems to be trying quite hard to meet demand, and could probably use some support from the inter-webs right about now, as opposed to flame and what appears to be undeserved spite.

NOTICE, THIS IS JUST MY 2 CENTS. I.E. OPINIONS, AND SUBJECTIVE EXPERIENCE. THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY.

5 people like this.
  15. Qhuy

Qhuy New Member

+1

Even thought, I have not receive my printer, but I had a very good experience with RoBo3D team. Every time, I send them inquiries within an hour or two, they replied my questions.

2 people like this.
  16. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I must admit that gsteckerns initial issues has me worried a little, given that they say they are testing all printers before shipping. Can only wait and see i suppose.

Its taken a little over 10 weeks for mine to ship from when it was ordered, though at the time they said 4-6weeks. I emailed them for an update at the 7 week mark, and got a response straight away. Had a couple of emails back and forth, and Jerry said the delay was because they were adding the upgrades such as auto levelling, so I've been more than happy to wait to get a better machine.

But they were prompt to reply to my questions, so its a good experience so far!
    They are a brand new company, and can take a while for any startup to properly find their feet. They could probably spend all day replying to emails, but instead they're building printers!

But i'm chomping at the bit waiting to get printing! Have a list of stuff ready and waiting to print!

2 people like this.
  17. gstercken

gstercken Member

Just got "FilTex 650°F RED gasket maker high temperature silicone". Applied it, let it cure... And yeah, you're right, it is messy! :D But anyway, it didn't help much - my Y-axis is still jamming, the stiff heated bed cable is still getting in the way of the Y-axis stop switch. I just realized that the connector (on the bed side) needs to be fixated in a very specific position and in a very specific angle in order to minimize the chance that the cable will bend/warp and interfer with the movement of the bed, and the stop switch.

So... Short of asking RoBo3D to send me a replacement bed, I would be very grateful if someone could post a photo of the actual setup of the components on the bottom side of the bed, as a reference, so I can try to fix it by myself? Or, alternatively, post the exact position / angle of the connector?

Thanks!

18. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Got shipping confirmation email for my New R1 order # 2332 today 5/28/2014. I ordered it 4/5/2014 and got immediate responses to my inquiries on delivery status. Also ordered two ABS spools last week which arrived days later.
    So far very pleased!

4 people like this.
  19. tfrost1980

tfrost1980 New Member

Woo hoo, only 308 more till I get mine. It'll be this fall before I see it

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well don't forget they share the same order numbers with filament orders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.