1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D v6 is out - lots of improvements

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Denys Dmytriyenko, May 23, 2014.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Très bien!

2. Vkial

Vkial Member

Merci beaucoup :)

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Je vais voyager à Paris en août. Je dois améliorer mon parler français sans l'aide de google :)

4. Vkial

Vkial Member

Very good but the second part is : "Je dois améliorer mon français sans l'aide de google"

If you want some help i can do that :)

5. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Hello All, got my v6 installed , I got it because after 4 months of care free printing with the v5 I all of a sudden was getting horrible jams every other print. so much so that I had to disassemble the print head to clear the jam. in the process I broke off the heat break tube in the print head.

so I figured I would solve all my problems by just getting a completely new v6.
    but now my v6 is starting to jam after just a couple prints. at first I thought it was just cheap filament
    causing the jam, but I have tried 3 different filaments with the same results.
    the nozzle is not clogging the jam seems to be in the heat break tube.
    any ideas ? how do you season with oil?

I may try the oil on a sponge before to lube the filament.

not sure why all of a sudden this started with the v5 and now the v6...

thanks John

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You season it the same way you'd season a cast iron skillet. You can keep it oiled up with a oil sponge.

7. scotta

scotta Active Member

This works for me. With the oiler I've not had a jam for a couple of months. I also increased the spring tension on feeder by adding a couple of extra nuts (I.e shortens the spring distance)

8. Vkial

Vkial Member

I do it too the season tricks this morning because yesterday my new e3dv6 has jammed in the heat break.

Today it was about 4h print with no jam.

So far so good :)

9. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Well I jinxed myself. had another Jam this morning.

Still getting jammed at the heat break tube. I can take everything off heatsink and nozzle and see the filament sticking out of the cold end of the heatbreak tube.
    I have to heat the heater block up to 300 c without the nozzle on to get the filament out, and then it takes quite a bit of force to get it out.
    It seems like it needs a separate cooling fan for the gap between the fins and the heater block.
    like this web page is suggesting
    http://blog.reprap-india.com/2014/04/03/how-to-reducing-pla-jams-in-all-metal-hotends-e3d-v5-all-metal-hotend/
    not sure if the oil is helping , but now things are a bit messy [​IMG]

10. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Finally got a successful print that ran 9 hours.
    lowered printing temp from 195 to 185
    added oiler ( had jam after this also)
    moved the fan down to cool the heat break (had jam after this also)
    added the PTFE tube inside the heat sink ( I did not use it because I thought it was just for Bowden) Not sure it this is needed or not. it is not in the instructions for direct drive extruders.

11. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

As I understand it, even on direct drive the ptfe tube inside the cold end is part of the design

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The PTFE will only help. Were it me I would drill out the gregs wade to 4.2 and run the PTFE all the way below the hobbed bolt so you have as seamless of 2mm section as possible.

2 people like this.
  13. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Has anyone modeled a Parts fan cooling duct yet?

I printed this one up last night:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:254004

But it Just barely doesn't fit. The duct drops a bit to low and the interior wall closest to the fan needs to continue a bit closer to the fan to clear the heater block on the v6.

3 people like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ugh, that is the one I used on the previous version E3D. I have not yet seen one for the V6 specifically.

15. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Yea i figured i would print that one out last night to see if it would fit before going through and CADing one from scratch. I may be able to take a heat gun to it and make it work.

16. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

I've just installed my E3D v6 - but it looks a bit off! It doesn't look straight - that is, perpendicular to the bed. Photos attached to illustrate what I mean. The way the fan attaches to the heat sink duct that came with the hot end means it won't go any higher cos it hits the carriage above. Have I done something wrong??
    photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

17. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

One other thing - on the first run heating up the hot end, I noticed the heat sink fan seems to be intermittent. Going on and off. If I give the fan a flick with my finger, it gets going but then slows down again later. Is that normal??

18. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Looks like something is off in your install. There are two screws that go into the groove in the j head mount in the heatsink. It looks like you might have it off a little so only one is really in the groove. I'd pull those two screws out. Straighten it up again and try again.

Two possibilities on the fan: The more likely explanation is that there is either something wrong with the fan or the connection. Check all connections. If that doesn't work, try swapping it out with another fan or just swapping connections with another fan and see if the new fan work.
    The other less likely possibility is that you have lines in your firmware that tell the fan to turn off when the hot end temp drops below 50. I don't think Robo has adopted this code, but I know it is common on other machines and some people on this forum have also added it into their firmware.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks like you're hitting the stock fan carriage. Did you remove that?

20. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Yes I had already taken the fan and mount off. So now I've taken the screws out and managed to get the hot end straight. But the fan duct that came with it is now slightly offline. Still connected tho.
    Looks like the hot end fan and duct is hitting the carriage itself on the side.
    One thought - is the hot end fan meant to be on the right hand side of the hot end? Cos that's where I out it based on other photos online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk