1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved PLA delamination/layers not binding(infill and bottom layers)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Electonic, May 17, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you share a few more photos? I think i see what your talking about but the picture makes it hard to be sure.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly what printer version?
    If you have an R1 (not the R1+) that may be the Z ribbing.

Yea, better photo would help too.

3. Electonic

Electonic Member

Yeah, I don't have the best camera. Here is another. Also, in response to mark, I have a R1 not a R1+
    This pictures still a little bad. I will get you a better one later today. I have to give you a link because my internet is slow, and I get an error saying the file is too large for the server to process.

Thanks
    http://tinypic.com/r/2mqp84o/9

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep but the bright side is youll have an r1+ when your done!

6. Electonic

Electonic Member

Well, it looks like the way to test it would be to slow everything down. I can't however, because whenever I do that, I have the same problem as earlier, my layers not connecting well.

Are there any other ways to test if I have ribbing other than making an upgrade and hoping it makes it better?

Thanks,
    Eric

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if the problem never leaves its defianently ribbing. You should only see it on the x axis and not the y (I think). I didn't have this issue as the R1_+ has the leadscrews update already in it.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can see it on all sides IIRC.
    Been a while since I saw it personally as well.

Electonic and Geof like this.
  9. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

This could also have to do with the Acceleration Settings in the firmware. The Robo comes stock with WAY too high of Acceleration settings. I had a similar issue with my R1 +PLUS. It was basically overshooting every corner. When I lowered my Acceleration setting and adjusted the XY Jerk setting, it's basically gone and now I'm getting excellent prints!

Also I use S3D (well worth the $150) and typically only print with a default speed of 50mm/s and with PLA at 210C and 55C. First Layer and Outline are decreased to roughly 30% of default speed. Infill overlap I have always used 15% and had no issues.

Hopefully something in there helps! If you have not already, you need to Calibrate your Extruder, this can fix a lot of issues.

For your medallion, do you have a STEP/IGS file or something I can open in SolidWorks to look at it? I can then save as a STL for you and it will be closer to an actual circle, even though it can't be, rather than a multi-sided figure (unless its supposed to be like that?).

Electonic likes this.
  10. Electonic

Electonic Member

So I should flash the updated firmware to the printer? Is there any way for me to mess that up?
    Thanks for offering about the solidworks, but it doesn't really matter if its circle or not. I take this model, which I designed, then I print it with the X reversed so I can stamp it into clay and make medallions with the same writing and font on each one. It is really just the face of the print that matters, but it worries me that the sides mess up like this.
    Thanks,
    Eric

11. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Not a problem. I could have checked for errors in the model as well.

You don't need to flash updated firmware. You need to get a copy of the firmware your Robo came with and update the settings in the Configuration.h file around Line 444. If you search for "Acceleration" you will find lots of threads talking about changing these settings and how to flash the firmware.

Note: If you are not comfortable doing this, make sure you take your time and learn, a lot can go wrong within the firmware. Do your homework before editing the firmware.

I would try other solutions before going this route and editing your firmware.

You can also change these settings using EEPROM as a temporary test. Just remember the settings you change this way are not permanent. Do this first before touching the firmware to see if it helps. I don't remember the M code to modify these setting though. Someone should be able to chime in and let you know.

Electonic likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Once you have made the modifications to the settings in MC, you need to open the GCode terminal and do an M500.:

The M500 will Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or the next time an M501 is used to read them back.

Electonic likes this.
  13. Electonic

Electonic Member

I''m somehow back to the original problem. I still have my 190c ext temp, and as far as I can tell all the settings are the same. The print I'm using to test(a filament holder for the top of the printer) the sides are once again coming apart. I have recreated the solution of before, speeding it up, and that helps a little.

Could it be a problem with the infill? The bottom and top shells are fine, but once it starts printing the infill, the shell starts to mess up. I'll post a picture or two soon.
    thanks,
    eric

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, best approach.

Geof likes this.
  15. Electonic

Electonic Member

Here is a picture of the problem I am having. This looks marginally better than a few prior prints. I have run out of my black filament, and I am now using Hatchbox 1.75 mm silver PLA. I have changed the extruder temp to 200c, the infill, outer shell and inner shell are at 60mm/s, the first layer is at 30mm/s and the top/bottom shells are at 45mm/s.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I see no picture buddy

Electonic likes this.
  17. Electonic

Electonic Member

Fixed. I pressed post before it uploaded. My bad.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah there it is :). That is odd pla is doing that. How about a deprime test ? When do the cooling fans turn on? Whats the bed temp ? Ahesion for the bed ?

19. Electonic

Electonic Member

The fan turns on at 1mm(although I have a print going with no fan, looks like the problem is still there though)
    Bed temp is 65c
    I use hairspray as my adhesive. Lightly applied after every print, cleaned every 5-10 prints.
    As I said earlier in this post, I have a print going right now with no fan. There looks to be a rather large gap in the outer shell around 2-3mm up, then the rest of the shell looks almost perfect. I'll post pics when its done. Shouldn't be long now.

Thanks,
    Eric

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member