1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

You included the STEP though I can figure it out.

Thanks

EDIT: also I am currently printing something in ninja flex and its not failing(yet lol ).. my change was to actually loosen the spring screw quite a bit. I just have a little bit of tension. I forgot where I saw or read but cranking it all the way down causes it to kink and jam..apparently. Anyway so far so good..It actually looks like its over-extruding for me.

#341 KTMDirtFace, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. KTMDirtFace

OMFG.... FIRST NINJA FLEX SUCCESS on my robo3D! Its not perfect, kinda weird the first couple layers the lines meshed really well, but the last few they were kinda far apart. I might try bumping up the extrusion mutliplier.

But regardless it PRINTED!!!!!!!!!!!! finally . So I have the tension spring at probably a couple turns in from full loose and that seemed to be the trick. When I had it cranked all the way down it would jam constantly. Jam is not the right word..it would stop extruding. if I backed it out the ninja flex looked like it got all wrinkled up and curled around the knurled grabber deal.. but cutting that bit off and resending it it would work again. So far no problems extruding when the spring is fairly loose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS Mark T.... I did not let it win!

#342 KTMDirtFace, May 8, 2016
    Geof and Ezra Ehrhard like this.
  3. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

I don't think I did include the gopro clip STEP. I couldn't find it. I have the two models I joined to make it though. I'll add it.

4. KTMDirtFace

Ah yea there is tons of go pro files on thingiverse but they are all STL's. which is hard to work with but not impossible. Its basically an eyball game.. yea eyball ohh this sorta fits. type deal.

EDIT: its still pretty weird that LOOSENING the tension spring makes ninja flex work for me. but whatever I'm happy now.

#344 KTMDirtFace, May 8, 2016
  5. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

The one I found is really good and fit perfectly. I was actually able to convert it in 123D to a solid and it worked really well. I am uploading the step now.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  6. KTMDirtFace

Two ninja flex prints in a row.! This one is a nintendo drink coaster. Turned out pretty good. Not sure I will bother with a re-design/new carriage. Loose spring tension seems to be the key for whatever reason. Printed at 240 with no retraction, and 30mm/s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Geof and Ezra Ehrhard like this.
  7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Probably the same reason too much tension on the stock Wade extruder will cause filament to shred. Too much tension on Ninjaflex may cause the drive gear to slip on it even if it doesn't shred the filament.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

9. KTMDirtFace

I like printed solid's idea of making a sticky of known working titan extruder mount options.

Has anyone else been able to print with the titan yet?

Sorry I have not tried everyone else's designs.

10. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Not really Titan specific but since I created my own carriage I needed to figure out a cooling solution. I didnt like any of the dual fan shrouds that attached to the heatsink. I kind of liked the ones that @Marquis Johnson has on Thingiverse and featured on his vidoes as they clip onto the carriage easily. I remixed it to be even more set up for quick connect/disconnect and once i re-run the wires it will be a bit cleaner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thingiverse Link:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1555114

KTMDirtFace and WheresWaldo like this.
  11. lafaspot

lafaspot New Member

I got a titan extruder and a E3D v6. Here are some pictures on what it looks like.
    260g
    52g for 4 LM8UUU
    312g Total

I'm still waiting for some connectors before I put this on the printer, but here it if, if some finds it usefull.

Using this Carriage from thingiverse thing:1521037

Titan and V6 hothead using bowden using printedsolid

You can also get a temp sensor from printedsolid so you don't have to change the firmware, for the robo 3d r1.
    or use the you can use the sensor already installed in the ROBO 3D R1 with the E3D V6.

I'm still waiting for some parts, I'll upload some more pics when it's on the printer and tested..

Attached Files:

#351 lafaspot, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    R14Life, KTMDirtFace and WheresWaldo like this.
  12. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

upgrade fever has me tinkering again. I am working on redesigning the X Idlers to incorporate two chain mounts, one for X and one for Z. This will keep the chain nicely flat and out of the way on both axis. I have had some issues printing my first go as the piece warped a bit, trying again with some custom supports and a nice brim. Hopefully I will have it to test in about 6 hours. I am reworking either my carriage or the new one Yogi posted to receive the chain. I will upload to thingiverse if anyone is interested. I have also created a version of the chain I had bought on amazon that fits these mounts and can now be printed and used as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike Kelly, Yogi and KTMDirtFace like this.
  13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. Having gone through this already, maybe I can give a suggestion. The X carriage to the idler looks good. Where you might find some trouble is how you have the idler to the base setup. You may need to design your mount to rotate 90 degrees so that the chain can flex front to back as the Z goes up and down instead of side to side. Make sense? With the cover on, it would get wonky having the chain trying to push to the side. Otherwise, great start. Tinkering is the best part of owning a printer.

14. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

Im working on a few design changes with that, let me know how it works out for you, I use mine on a daily bases now and it works great for me.

dbefore likes this.
  15. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

I think there is enough room to make this work. My idea is to have the cable chain mounted on the floor and run up the case wall. Hopefully it will work cause I think it will be cool.
    Here is ultimately what I am going for:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KTMDirtFace, Mike Kelly and Yogi like this.
  16. Yogi

Yogi Member

Please keep us updated Ezra, I'm loving the design. Whenever I get around to tearing mine apart to replace the carriage this looks like a must-have. Thinking of going for the upgraded bushings now rather than fitting the stock.

17. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

It printed amazingly well. (maybe the nicest print I have ever had) and then I promptly broke it! I am trying to see if the epoxy will hold so I dont have to reprint but I learned I needed to add some strength to my Idler model. I may reprint either way as the model i got from Robo for the X Idler seems to have some geometry issues and I cannot successfully get it 100% watertight with my tools (probably due to my lack of skill with the tools i have) so there is some wonky behavior when S3D slices it. I have modeled an exact copy getting rid of the old model but have not printed it to test it yet.

[​IMG]

KTMDirtFace and Mike Kelly like this.
  18. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Probably should start a new thread since this isn't Titan related so others can easily find the work you are doing. There are better models out there to start with that are beefed up already. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:729956 @Mike Kelly has done a great job compiling the full printer and has included some of his enhancements.

19. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Thanks for the info. I start a new thread once I am ready to share. I am still trying to make it all work! I looked for X Idlers on Thingiverse but i guess my search skills failed me. Thanks for the link.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Whoa! I've always wanted to do that, but never got around to it.Kick ass