1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First test of FLEKS 3D build plate kit

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Bil Forshey, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

I didn't change my offsets the first time and when the printer probed after heating it went right through the plate and made a hole.

2. Archania

Archania New Member

Ouch. So you need to adjust the offset then?
    Confused now. Some say yes others no. Which is it? And is yes what did you do to insure you didn't mess up?

3. XEMA

XEMA New Member

Are you saying that during the auto bed level portion it heated and went through the bed?

You have to change the startup script so the extruder heats up after the auto-level function.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Offsets and heating are not the same. The hotend heater commands are either M104 (start heating and move on) or M109 (heat and wait until done). The homing and auto-leveling commands that force the nozzle to touch the bed are G28 and G29 respectively. Completely different and unrelated, with regard to this conversation. If you choose to use any of these plates you must put either or both (in the case of S3D) of the M commands after the two G commands in your start up gcode script, or you end up with a hole. Z_Offset is basically a compensation factor used as a result of the Z axis endstop switches not disengaging immediately upon the nozzle hitting the bed.

#44 WheresWaldo, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Cbrown likes this.
  5. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

I see what I did wrong. Thank you WhereWaldo!

6. Archania

Archania New Member

I'll be getting around to trying out the plate after this long print finishes.

7. Burncycle

Burncycle New Member

Ok so I picked up the 10 x 10 as well and did my first print last night. It works well, but I quickly learned to move the extruder heating command to the very last line of startup gcode. The first time it slightly touched the plate while hot, and marked a tiny indent at each of the 9 calibration points.
    To keep the frame in place I used 4 of those clips where you squeeze the metal bracket on each side to open, and placed them on the sides. Once they were in place, I removed the metal brackets so they wouldn't get in the way.

8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Its on their webpage to not use autolevel with heat or to use their pucks.

its the same for buildTak/Zebra...etc hot nozzle from auto level will melt them all.

Change your startup script to auto level with a cold nozzle then heat up.

9. Burncycle

Burncycle New Member

Unfortunately mine did not come with the glass puck, even though the instructions say it should be in there. I should probably let them know...

10. Etan15

Etan15 Member

Mine did not come with the puck either. I am installing later tonight.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

11. KTMDirtFace

You have to order the puck separate, though I can't find it on their page.

Sounds like a pain in the ass to me. Just set your printers startup script to not autolevel when the nozzle is hot its not rocket science.

Here is mine for simplify3d. I have to remember to let it cool down between prints though. I really should add a wait in there at the beginning that makes it wait to cool down first. But generally I use that time while its cooling down to pull ooze off the nozzle so its clean when the auto level happens cold.

Code:
    G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-0.8 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

; This set of code is so that it autolevels before heating so that the BuildTek surface is not damaged
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm so it doesnt rest on the BuildTek while heating.
    M140 S[bed0_temperature] ; Set Bed Temperature
    M190 S[bed0_temperature] ; Wait for Bed Temperature
    M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; set extruder temperature .
    M109 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; set extruder temperature and wait for temp
    M117 Printing... ;Put printing message on LCD screen

#51 KTMDirtFace, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Cbrown and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. KTMDirtFace

My Fleks 10x10 system just showed up a day early. For some reason I got 2 plates with it, just one frame. I think i only ordered one..who knows.

Edit: Nevermind i guess thats how its supposed to come.

13. Etan15

Etan15 Member

Got mine yesterday and started installing today. My plates are a bit warped so I am dealing with that right now. Sort of thinking I should just stick with the glue.

14. KTMDirtFace

The zebra plate bows up sometimes too. Which is why so far I like the Zebra skin the best.

I'll try my fleks out tomorrow.

15. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

The System comes with 2 plates.

16. Etan15

Etan15 Member

Officially not happy with the Fleks3D. The two plates that came with mine were warped from the start and did not sit on the plate flat. During the first print with heated bed set to off the printer caught the corner because of the warping and pulled the plate out and found it laying on the floor and a pile of melted PETG on the bed and jammed in the Hotend.

17. KTMDirtFace

That sucks. so it was warped in the corners?

Someone else on here had some clips to hold the corners down, maybe try that.

I have zebra skin on mine now but I have a second robo coming tomorrow and will try the fleks 3d on that one.

18. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

I made corner pieces so I could use the binder clips on the front and back.

They are usually quick to reply. Sucks that you have this problem out of the box!

19. Etan15

Etan15 Member

The corner clips would work for one of the plates but not the other. One plate the middle bows up and the other plate the middle bows down. The plate with The middle bowing up the corners are fine but the hotend touches the plate at the high point. The plate with The middle bowing down the corners are high and the hotend touches the plate and the fan cowl caught on it and pulled it out off the frame.

I emailed them. I hate being that guy and support anyone who starts their own business especially when it is based here in the states.

BTW, itsticksvery well to the plate. Maybe too well. The3 or 4 layers of the failed prints will not come off the plate.

I may try the Zebra product.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

20. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

Well I tried the Zebra and it is still in my drawer after I used a hammer and chisel to try and get a print off. But it may be my fault I heated it up to 40c with abs was too high (this was on my wanhao 4s).